Thursday, January 24, 2013

Letter to our kiddo's....


Dad's nausea stopped!!! Yes!!! He just called me. He sounded tired but wonderful!!! I was just feeling so concerned and tears welled up and I was just ready to call the hospital nurses and find out how his night went and he called!
I am so thankful that stopped!!!
This is just the boost we needed! I will call Kipper during the day and he will let you know what is going on. Calling him was long distance and that wasn't working but we have that figured out. If Dad's evening energy is okay etc. etc. then he will call each of you one by one so you can know he's okay. Maybe not all in one evening but you will hear from him so you can know for yourself that he is okay.
 
Yesterday he was so nauseous and then horrible headache and had been since admission to rehab. He arrived that way and it was around the clock. Horrible. Horrible! Oh, he sounded so good! Last night the Dr. said if they couldn't get a handle on it then they'd do another Cat Scan
 
He mastered his OT and PT yesterday even though he could barely hold his head up and I was carrying a little barf bucket & some water wherever he was going or whatever he was doing. They were able to do a lot of testing and therapy right in his room. They did all they could to work with him being exhausted and nauseous. There is no choice. He either does it or he's out. We don't want him out until he's as strong as possible.
 
They said there are two kinds of stroke patients that come to rehab. One has to really be motivated to do the work and encouraged to move faster. The other has to be encouraged to slow down. Dad is slow down type. On his white board notes they wrote...poor deficit awareness. Translation-- they say, after putting a safety belt on him and having him sit up...we are going to walk to the door. Okay? He, waiting like a slathering race horse, suddenly bolts. Lumbering and lurching with the young therapist, pulling on the safety belt and saying...Sir!! Whoa!! Slow! Slow!
 
I am fine. Truly. I know you are concerned for me but I'm not the martyr type. I won't run myself into the ground and think that's impressive. I know I must do the oxygen mask counsel on airplanes....First put your own mask on THEN on your sweetie. Right now my goal is to stay strong and even keeled which is easy since I'm not an emotional person!!! Ha! Right!
 
I have absolutely terrific friends here and so many offers of kindness and help and food but right now I just go to rehab and come home and visit with Kipper and then just quietly unwind and go to bed. I have wonderful women friends and I'm at ease in calling any of them, if I need anything at all. Dad has men that love him also.
Kipper has been a rock, in spite of dealing with his own challenges, and we feel good having him in our lives and so close at hand.
 
I'll cut this short and get ready to go see Dad and start another day in paradise! He's alive and can talk and flexing his muscles and moving his arm and all those good things. Last night we talked about the fact, if how he is right now, this very moment, ended up being as good as it's going to get in his recovery...we'd make it work. We'd be okay. He said...Hey. This is life so why complain? I'm blessed. And we really are!
 
Love to all of you chickadees from Mother
 
confession: I was rude to a mail nurse yesterday so today I will apologize. I still feel the same but I shouldn't have spoken to him like I did. I'll let you know how it goes! 
 **************************************
 
Thanks to each of you, my blog friends, for your kindness and concerns!!  I'll write more later.

No comments: