Friday, October 12, 2012

Ruby Slippers



In conversation discussing a book that several of us had read, I mentioned that it reminded me of the Wizard of Oz- in that the main character exited through a door into another world and then ended up coming back through the door, at books end,and was safe back home.  A fellow reader had not thought of that connection but what really caught me off guard was the fact that she doesn't like the Wizard of Oz story.  I really enjoy the story.  Probably because I can identify with all of the characters!!  I'm a composite of all of them!

Sometimes I don't have a lick of sense, am scatter brained, and seem to have a hole in my head- just like Scarecrow!

Sometimes I lack courage to do a hard task, or say something that is easier left unsaid, or even put a toe in the water!  Afraid of my own shadow, just like that Cowardly Lion.

Sometimes my heart doesn't feel or show the love that should be spilling over.  As if I lack heart just like the Tinman.

Sometimes I am like that co-dependent Wizard!  Trying to fix everything for everyone as far as their happiness factor goes.  Afraid that others will find out what I'm really like and won't like me.  All that co-dependent stuff!

Sometimes I complain about things like Dorothy but deep inside I know there is truly no place like home!

The list of similarities could go on and on, even when they all come to their full stature with intelligence rendering intelligent choices, courage to reach out and help others, feeling and sharing the love they feel, being honest in their own true emotions of who they really are and of course, the desire to be home with family--and feeling that is the best place of all!

I reread an old 1984 Weekly Reader version retold from the original 1900 book.  Whittled down to 48 small pages it still maintains the integrity of the story and retains what remains to me, the essence of my favorite line of all.

Dorothy is crying and wanting to go home and protesting that she doesn't want to stay.  She wants to go home to Kansas.  And then magic happens as a beautiful Good Witch appears and declares that she is there to help Dorothy.

"Can you help me get home?" asked Dorothy, wiping away her tears.

"You can do that yourself," said Glinda.  "The ruby shoes can take you to Kansas.  Why, they could have taken you home on the very first day."

 That is my most favorite line!!  Power to leave from the first day!!
 


 We have the power within us as Daughters of God to do many things for ourselves.  To accomplish much and to be much.  We just sometimes forget that fact.

“Live Up to Your Privilege”

You are now placed in a situation where you can act according to those sympathies which God has planted in your bosoms. If you live up to these principles how great and glorious!—if you live up to your privilege, the angels cannot be restrained from being your associates. … If you will be pure, nothing can hinder.
Joseph Smith







No comments: