Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Peaceful

It never ceases to amaze me how the Gospel works.  If we keep seeking resolution of pain/challenges or whatever we are trying to overcome...eventually, in the Lord's timetable, we will accomplish that. 

I do believe the peace I feel right now will last.  There will come a testing and then I will have the certainty of overcoming this jealousy that arises and give me such self-doubt and sorrow.  

My wonderful son, Greg, asked me how I was doing.  I told him... 
 
  I think through persistent effort and application of Gospel principles that today I'm at peace with the situation. Finally. 

One thing I know for sure.  This emotion, so negative yet so real, that can surface so quickly, unexpected & unwanted, gives me compassion for people that have a temper that seems to appear out of nowhere.  Perhaps they feel like I do when jealousy strikes and is set off by something so simple.  

I so hope that it's over.  It's been forever or seems so!  Years and years.

Don't you have scriptures that help you through the tough times of your life?  I mark my topical guide with ones I use over and over.  It makes for an easy read and a quick find.  I know what keyword subject it's under and it makes for a great spiritual pick me up.  I absolute love the scriptures.  I have been comforted and encouraged by some old favorites of mine, such as....

I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.  Psalm 6:6

And call upon me in the day of trouble:  I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.  Psalm 46:15

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Be still, and know that I am God.....Psalm 46: 1, 10

Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh:  is there any thing to hard for me?  Jer. 32:27

I remind myself that I truly am a beloved daughter of God and ...the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart. 1 Sam. 16:7

And hymns!!!  what a source of guidance, strength and comfort.
These popped into my mind.  Love them!

Lean on My Ample Arm  Hymn #120
1. Lean on my ample arm,
O thou depressed!
And I will bid the storm
Cease in thy breast.
Whate’er thy lot may be
On life’s complaining sea,
If thou wilt come to me,
Thou shalt have rest.
If thou wilt come to me,
Thou shalt have rest.

2. Lift up thy tearful eyes,
Sad heart, to me;
I am the sacrifice
Offered for thee.
In me thy pain shall cease,
In me is thy release,
In me thou shalt have peace
Eternally.
In me thou shalt have peace
Eternally.

Text: Theodore E. Curtis, 1872–1957
Music: Evan Stephens, 1854–1930


Come, Ye Disconsolate  hymn #115 

1. Come, ye disconsolate, where’er ye languish;
Come to the mercy seat, fervently kneel.
Here bring your wounded hearts; here tell your anguish.
Earth has no sorrow that heav’n cannot heal.

2. Joy of the desolate, Light of the straying,
Hope of the penitent, fadeless and pure!
Here speaks the Comforter, tenderly saying,
“Earth has no sorrow that heav’n cannot cure.”

3. Here see the Bread of Life; see waters flowing
Forth from the throne of God, pure from above.
Come to the feast of love; come, ever knowing
Earth has no sorrow but heav’n can remove.

Text: Thomas Moore, 1779–1852. Verse three, Thomas Hastings, 1784–1872
Music: Samuel Webbe, 1740–1816

Cast Thy Burden upon the Lord hymn #110

Cast thy burden upon the Lord,
And he shall sustain thee.
He never will suffer the righteous to fall.
He is at thy right hand.
Thy mercy, Lord, is great
And far above the heav’ns.
Let none be made ashamed
That wait upon thee.

Text: Julius Schubring, 1806–1889; adapted from the Psalms
Music: Felix Mendelssohn, 1809–1847

 




No comments: