Tuesday, August 28, 2012

For Better or For Worse


We were driving home from the Temple and visiting.  We count the weekly Temple trip as our date.  not a DateNight but a DayDate.  We know we could take others but we really enjoy being confined side by side and no interuptions and open discussion of random subjects.  some serious and some lighthearted.

Terry was saying that he needs to do more research and get more names to take to the Temple.  He also said that he'd been so involved in indexing (which he is absolutely smitten with!) that he'd slacked off on research of names.  He indexes a lot and he is an avid fan of it. I asked, to me a very simple question,...so how many days will you not index so you can research?  a couple?

  To my surprise, in answer, he started telling me about the 1940 census and all those details (with all due respect I've heard his spiel many times and pretty much know it by heart) and then went into the Community Projects data and then I sort of was paying enough attention to hear the answer to my question but was also sort of fading on concentration and started thinking, once again, about the beauty of the world.

I found myself ever so softly singing the lyrics to a song I'd heard many times, on the radio, as a girl....What a Wonderful World.  My reality check came when he said....What are you doing??!!  Are you singing while I'm talking??!!   I said...Uh, yes I am.  sorry.  I'm listening to you though.   He said...Boy, you sure know how to hurt a fella.

You can see how necessary it is for us to have these DayDates if for nothing else but to improve communication!!

Truly I am astonished at the beauty of the earth.  I have been so blessed to live in places of beauty and abundance my entire life.  I cherish it and don't take it for granted. 

I remember Louis Armstrong singing this and loved his Oh yeah at the end of What a Wonderful World

In the somewhat awkward silence, after my faux pas, I became more spiritual and hummed For the Beauty of the Earth.  Such a great hymn.

"What A Wonderful World"

  I see trees of green,
red roses too.
I see them bloom,
for me and you.
And I think to myself,
what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue,
And clouds of white.
The bright blessed day,
The dark sacred night.
And I think to myself,
What a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow,
So pretty in the sky.
Are also on the faces,
Of people going by,
I see friends shaking hands.
Saying, "How do you do?"
They're really saying,
"I love you".

I hear babies cry,
I watch them grow,
They'll learn much more,
Than I'll ever know.
And I think to myself,
What a wonderful world.

Yes, I think to myself,
What a wonderful world.

Oh yeah.
 
(LOUIS ARMSTRONG LYRICS)


 God Is Love
(Sung Gently)

1. Earth, with her ten thousand flow’rs,
Air, with all its beams and show’rs,
Heaven’s infinite expanse,
Sea’s resplendent countenance—
All around and all above
Bear this record: God is love.

2. Sounds among the vales and hills,
In the woods and by the rills,
Of the breeze and of the bird,
By the gentle murmur stirred—
Sacred songs, beneath, above,
Have one chorus: God is love.

3. All the hopes that sweetly start
From the fountain of the heart,
All the bliss that ever comes
To our earthly human homes,
All the voices from above
Sweetly whisper: God is love.

Text: Thomas R. Taylor, 1807–1835, alt. Included in the first LDS hymnbook, 1835.
Music: Thomas C. Griggs, 1845–1903
1 John 4:7–8
Moses 6:63


No comments: