Monday, August 20, 2012

A great day!!!

I have not forgotten that I said I'd write a bit more about Friday's subject but I had such a great Sunday that I want to share a bit.  I do want to make it clear though that I am not opposed, not even a smidgen, to the standards of the Church.  It's a part of my religious faith and I embrace it.  I know you do also.  I do oppose the face to face lambasting or behind the back sniping, of those deemed not being up to par in any department of Church etiquette, deportment or etc.  I applaud those women, old and/or young, that bespeak modesty.  That being said though, I do not consider it necessary for me to comment/chastise etc. how someone looks.  I know that things are pretty transparent in the teen realm of those that leave their homes looking modest and somehow or other via Facebook they suddenly have shed cover-ups that render that modest look invisible and are now deemed immodest.  That falls in the parent category to handle as they see fit.  I guess I'm not yet as calm as I need be.  Tomorrow.  You do realize that there are those that will be ticked off, maybe more than a smidgen, that I'm saying what I'm saying. Again, I'm for modesty.  We all know the standards.  You and I don't need each other hovering over each other and throwing in our two cents when it's actually not worth a plug nickel.  Okay.  Okay.  ENOUGH!  Lips are zipped.

On to pleasantries.  So.  I visited 4th Ward Sunday.  Bob C. is in that Ward and Terry was his 1st Counselor in the YSA Branch.  Bob's late wife, Suzy, and I spent 4-1/2 years together and became good friends.  Bob and Suzy have 2 daughters.  One daughter, Julie, is in 4th Ward and her husband is the Bishop.  They have 5 daughters.  3 of them ended up coming to the Branch after high school.  A few days ago their beautiful daughter Meghan got married.  She was one of the brides in that family of the 5 siblings (3 girls & 2 boys) that married on the same day in the AZ Temple!!!   She was at 4th Ward today with her adorably handsome husband after their wedding reception celebration.  I was so happy to see her!!  What a deal to have your wedding make the news.  here is a link for CNN and also Fox news.  In the picture that has all 5 couples in front of the Temple, with the brides seated, she is the center one.  I just found it fun and made me happy and I wanted to share that news!

http://www.ldsmag.com/article/1/11295

http://ldsliving.com/story/69792-mormon-mega-wedding-5-couples-in-same-family-marry-on-same-day

The two women that spoke at Sacrament were so inspiring.  Each had gone through a lot of trials in their individual lives.  The one sister shared that after she was widowed, at a young age, that she didn't want to get out of bed or go to Church or pray or read her scriptures or anything.  Her emotional pain was so intense that she just wanted to stay in bed and cry.  She said this quote by Heber J. Grant-- to live the daily life of a member-- was what moved her to always do what she didn't want to do.  (It's from a talk by Elder Eyring. I listed the link at the end.) 

Now, my worry is not about your testimony. You have all had spiritual experiences, and most of you have recognized them. Some of you have had remarkable spiritual experiences. If I called you up here to bear your testimony, you could do it by citing spiritual manifestations in your own experience. 

But what I'm worried about, and at least unconsciously you are, too, is a fact put bluntly by a President of the Church once. His name was Heber J. Grant, and this is what he said. It was true when he said it, and it still is.

Here are his words. Listen carefully. There is but one path of safety to the Latter-day Saints, and that is the path of duty. It is not testimony, it is not marvelous manifestations, it is not knowing that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true, . . . it is not actually knowing that the Savior is the Redeemer, and that Joseph Smith was His prophet, that will save you and me, but it is the keeping of the commandments of God, the living the life of a Latter-day Saint. [Heber J. Grant, Improvement Era, November 1936, p. 659] Now you and I know that the path of duty and living the life of a Latter-day Saint require our bringing down the powers of heaven. Think about the duties that really matter to a Latter-day Saint: rearing children in a world of wickedness; caring for the poor when you have trouble just caring for yourselves; being a witness for the Savior wherever we may be, in whatever circumstances.

She said that she is very careful to stay on the Lords side of the line and below is another powerful quote by George Albert Smith in 1935 that Elder Eyring quoted.  She bore a very strong testimony of how she protects herself and doesn't wander over that line.  This is a great quote.  Wonderful for FHE.

President George Albert Smith made you a promise. It seemed so powerful that I wondered if the quotation when I found it was taken out of context. So I looked it up. I checked the original source and found that context is no problem since this statement was printed alone in a box by itself. It has no context. He said: There are two influences ever present in the world. One is constructive and elevating and comes from our Heavenly Father; the other is destructive and debasing and comes from Lucifer. We have our agency and make our own choice in life subject to these unseen powers. There is a division line well defined that separates the Lord's territory from Lucifer's. If we live on the Lord's side of the line Lucifer cannot come there to influence us, but if we cross the line into his territory we are in his power. By keeping the commandments of the Lord we are safe on His side of the line, but if we disobey His teachings we voluntarily cross into the zone of temptation and invite the destruction that is ever present there. Knowing this, how anxious we should always be to live on the Lord's side of the line. [George Albert Smith, Improvement Era, May 1935, p. 278]

 Waiting On the Lord by Elder Eyring 1990
http://speeches.byu.edu/index.php?act=viewitem&id=775

The Gospel is truly wonderful and I love it and have a testimony.  Let's just help each other down the path of life with encouragement, kindness and unconditional love.  

No comments: