Thursday, December 1, 2011

Kindness

The front door is fixed as good as it can be, the key works, elaborate plans for hiding extra keys, and plans to paint in the spring to cover some marring are all in the works.  (actually more than some marring, with the way the light hit it when I looked at it but Terry says you'd never guess it was repaired.  Go figure!)

I managed to get lost.  Again!  I was headed to one place and ended up in the totally opposite direction, all the while basking in the marvel of having my GPS, and the fun of taking a new & unfamiliar to me route.  Why do I do this stuff to myself?  It's amazing I ever get anywhere!  And I was in a time crunch!  

I started to panic when I realized that I typed in north or was it south instead of just plain old Liberty Road.  So Ms.-GPS lets me know I'm at my destination and no joke, I'm in the middle of nowhere and according to my modulated toned GPS I've arrived! And there sits a cement block building and there are row upon row upon row upon row etc.  it seemed miles.  it was miles of fields worth of original scent cow fertilizer.  neatly arranged but nonetheless not my destination.  

Then I notice it's dark, I see the distant hills, nothing familiar, no houses and I'm clueless.  So I decide to hit Home on my GPS and then turned it off and decided to find a familiar sounding road name and just drive.  Then I drive like the wind, realizing I'm late and that is not a good thing.  Then I come on Kathryn's house and Judy and Nan and Jerry and Shannon and am by Chelle's.  I remembered I had my new cell phone and sounding like a kidnapped hysterical victim, I called Chelle.  

She calmed me down and reassured me that where I was going was the right way, I wasn't far, keep calm, there was time, take a deep breath etc. etc.  She is such a good friend but alas, if I keep doing this stuff she will stop answering her phone.  Anyhow, I found the real destination but it was a long journey.  All that careful timing and planning.  Foiled again!!

My big rush was because I had the opportunity to be with a RS sister, Gloria, recovering from recent knee replacement.  Her newly baptized husband was going to the Temple with the youth for baptism's so I stayed with her for a nice long visit.  

Early evening and a cheerful Teri arrives with her hubby to deliver a beautiful healthy, hearty meal plus a loaf of still warm fresh WW bread.  Teri was so gracious and kind and interested in how Gloria was feeling.  Seeing Teri in her apron and laying her wares on the cupboard, just touched my heart to the max.  I just wanted to hug her! (I didn't as I'm trying to restrain myself as I try to be less boisterous in that way!  I'm going to be an arm-patterer or shoulder touch person but it took all restraint to not hug her and tell her she is wonderful and I love her!)

Gloria was hungry and the meal was enjoyed and appreciated.  I told her that she and Mark could have figured out a meal and been independent but it's the love that comes through, when a woman shares a meal she made, for someone that is a bit down or recovering, that just seems to work magic for all...the giver, the receiver, the observer!
  
As Sisters in Zion
  Hymns 309 - Resolutely

1. As sisters in Zion, we’ll all work together;
The blessings of God on our labors we’ll seek.
We’ll build up his kingdom with earnest endeavor;
We’ll comfort the weary and strengthen the weak.

2. The errand of angels is given to women;
And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim:
To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
To cheer and to bless in humanity’s name.

3. How vast is our purpose, how broad is our mission,
If we but fulfill it in spirit and deed.
Oh, naught but the Spirit’s divinest tuition
Can give us the wisdom to truly succeed.

Text: Emily H. Woodmansee, 1836–1906
Music: Janice Kapp Perry, b. 1938. © 1985 IRI

 

No comments: