Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Bitten by the love-bug!!

On Friday night the annual Stake HP dinner/fireside was held.  It's always enjoyable and fun to see the number that attend.  I was seated in the Chapel for the fireside portion and thought Terry had sat down next to me, I was turned away visiting with Emma and didn't see him.  Then he started pushing me with his shoulder.  I turned and it was our friend Bob from our days of working in the YA Branch for 4-1/2 years.  It was wonderful to see him.  

He reminded me that his wife Suzy had died almost 4 years ago.  We agreed it seemed like yesterday and how thankful he is for the Gospel plan and knowing that he will see her again.  

For all those years Suzy and I sat together every Sunday and attended FHE every Monday and also went to extra outings while our husbands did the Priesthood duties.  We became friends.  One time he told me that he'd read her journals and she'd mentioned our friendship and that touched my heart.  He misses her so much but he's at peace, as much as he can be, with the loss of someone that he's spent years with.

Terry and I have been together for many years.  We are high-school sweethearts.  One of the things we loved to do was dance.  We danced a lot at school dances and also a teen club.  Then we got involved in some sort of a Saturday event at the Teen Club that was broadcast  on the radio.  We had a panel of teens and we'd judge music for danceablity and rate it.  We'd dance and practice all sorts of steps.  We also had a teen variety show on the local TV channel.  I was the MC.  We'd dance there also.  

A popular thing to do was to call radio stations and dedicate songs to people.  (they probably don't do that anymore!!)  Being two teens in love we'd dedicate songs that we deemed to be romantic and said what was in our heart.  Music spoke our feelings.

When we got home from the HP dinner, Terry immediately said that he wanted me to listen to a song that he'd recorded from a TV show.  He was dedicating a song to me. He told me how much he loves me and how he would just not be able to make it if I died before him.  That he can't bear the thought of not having me in his life.  He was so sweet.  He went through his list of shows and found a Country show of some sort and played Bill Anderson singing a love song entitled...  If Anything Happened to You.

I looked over at him in his chair and saw tears trickling down his face.  I too was emotional.... Not just from the song lyrics but just from having him share such deep feelings in such a sweet sincere humble way. Then he gave me the gentlest hug and the most tender kiss and told me again how much he loves me in his life.  Sigh.

Marriage is well worth the effort it takes to keep on keeping on.

No comments: