Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Packing for a Viking!!

We are moving at a snail's pace here on readiness for this trip!  We keep gathering things, purchasing things and today was.... Compression Socks Day and buying a new watch and making sure Visa & Bank know that he will be in FL and then Norway.  Loading all the scriptures on his new Nook and trying it out.  Just small details like making sure the chip is cleared for the little camera he's taking.  His neck pillow for flight.  Finding his favorite fanny-pack. Copying some genealogy.

He's been riding his bike for 4 weeks and valiantly trying to gain strength, stamina and increased energy.  You know Vikings and their biking!  It's an interesting phenomena as he hauls the bike in his truck to his "route" and then rides with the wind.  If he doesn't take his truck then I'm given a time to come looking for him, with the truck, in case he is languishing by the roadside.  Today he took the truck and was gone so long, that I went looking for him!!  Certain he was roadkill.  I could not find the truck, the bike or him.  When he finally showed up, all rested looking, non-sweaty, he let me know that he'd gone out to Jerry's to see his new lawn mower!! 

When he worked at the North Slope and it was time for him to go back, 2 days before hand, I'd feel sad and lonely and wishing he could stay home.  So today here we are- both so happy he gets to go and both not wanting to be separated for even a week or so.  He's been declaring his love for me with sweet words and affection all day and I've gladly accepted them and returned the favor.

Jeanee has worked hard planning so many details...memories for a lifetime.  He will see a home, inside and out, that his great grandfather lived in!  

Today J. sent a note....
 The pension hotel that we are staying in was built in 1862. Can you even believe it? They renovated it and it's right in the city center of all of the old charming buildings, fisherman's wharf, boat dock etc. It should be a dream come true for Dad! I am bringing my big camera, I have to document everything!!

Terry's cousin Patty will also go with them.  Jeanee & Patty have everything planned out and the car is rented, reservations made, arrangements to meet and stay with...family that he's never met!!   

My only request is he not return home with one of those double horned viking helmets!!!  

Me?  while he's gone?....Temple, lunch dates, and try and figure out how to have more constancy with the Holy Ghost in my life.  More direction.  Better listening skills.  More worthiness.  I read the NT account of people receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and I find myself wanting.  wanting ...not in desiring.  wanting...as lacking.  okay...so I guess I actually am wanting and wanting.  So I'm going on a mini-sabbatical with quiet study and pondering.  Finding steps to spiritual growth... balanced out with Temple and lunches and visiting with friends.  Sitting on porch.  Visiting.  Being in touch with the Spirit, myself and others.  
 



  

No comments: