Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Better Part!!!

It started off to be one of those days that felt a bit awry.  The air conditioning stopped working and I love coolness.  I need a haircut.  real bad.  or do I need it badly? either way.  I need to make an appointment!  I didn't really feel the Spirit like I'd like.  I didn't feel particularly nice.  sort of unfriendly.  anti-social.  Not LDS-like. 

I prayed.  I got a little comfort blessing.  And then I brought out the big guns.  The one thing that helps me.  Always.  Read the scriptures.  I have experienced, more times than I like to admit, the truth of these words, spoken in 1966, by President Kimball....

"I find that when I get casual in my relationships with divinity and when it seems that no divine ear is listening and no divine voice is speaking, that I am far, far away. If I immerse myself in the scripture the distance narrows and the spirituality returns.  I find myself loving more intensely those whom I must love with all my heart and mind and strength..."

When I eventually felt that promised sweetness of returning Spirit, the entire day took on a different hue.  Things worked out...the air cooled, caring feelings returned, I felt kinder, my hair was still needing to be cut but that was okay.  In the midst of these good feelings, there was a knock on the door, and there stood Julianna with a plate of cookies.  Fresh from the oven. We sat and visited and got better acquainted as she is new in the Ward.  It was such a nice time to talk about matters of the heart.

The day was topped off by our monthly RS meeting.  What an absolutely great time we had.  I love the feeling of being with LDS women.  There is a happiness, a sisterhood that is permeable.  Our women visit a lot.  They laugh a lot.  They care a lot.  They share a lot. They do a lot of good in our Ward and our community.  Some are young in years and some young in heart but all blend and accept each other as they are. It is the most healing place in the world to be with these great women when they are at any RS function.  You can't help but feel better, no matter what you felt like when you arrived!!  They are so alive!!  So engaging!!  Their presence is a paradox of soothing  and energising all at the same time!!  It's a bit of heaven!!

I thought of this quote by Elder Talmage about women seeking balance.  Well, that's my take on it.  I think RS is all about striving to live life to the fullest with balance!

“By inattention to household duties, the little touches that make or mar the family peace, many a woman has reduced her home to a comfortless house; and many another has eliminated the essential elements of home by her self-assumed and persistent drudgery, in which she denies to her dear ones the cheer of her loving companionship. One-sided service, however devoted, may become neglect. There is time for labor inside the home as in the open; in every family time should be found for cultivating that better part, that one thing needful – true spiritual development (James Talmage, Jesus the Christ, 403).”

No comments: