Monday, August 29, 2011

"go bag"

Hurricane Irene landed and is still spewing rain and winds.  Soon the damage will be assessed and repairs will start and people will get grumpy when things aren't fixed fast enough.  Power loss wreaks havoc.  Water damage of any sort is horrible but flooding?  Oh, boy.

The Mayor of New York, Mr. Bloomberg, tried to get the people ready sort of at the last minute.  I liked this news release....

Mr. Bloomberg, along with Joseph F. Bruno, the commissioner of the city’s Office of Emergency Management, instructed residents to take preliminary steps: stock up on basic supplies, identify an alternative place to sleep in the event of an evacuation and prepare a “go bag” of essentials to allow for a rapid departure, if necessary.

My mind went back to all of our Ward classes on being prepared by getting prepared.  Now.   All of the effort the Jackson's put forth.

I thought back to December of 2006, a couple of weeks before Christmas, drifting off to sleep and suddenly being jolted awake and wondering if I was responsible for each Ward member to have a Christmas.  Was someone waiting for me to act?  Was I suppose to contact someone? I'd been in as RSP for 4 months and was a duck out of water.   

Then my mind really got to going with....do they all have food supplies?  are they ready to be self-sufficient?  I started to panic.  The next day I started calling each home and asking point blank, to relieve my anxiety, were they ready?  Did they have supplies on hand.  They were wonderful to me.  Very patient.  Very kind.  Very honest.  Very reassuring.

I talked to the Bishop about doing more to help get the Ward ready. 

I wrote a panicky letter to the sisters telling them that I didn't even start to have enough on hand to care for them and to not count on me if the going got rough.

Eventually we had series of classes and challenges and assignments, for years, to ready ourselves.

Are we now ready?  I sure hope so!!! 

Our 72 hour packs are way beyond the Mayor's request in his suggested "go bag". 

What an absolute blessing to belong to a religion, our wonderful Church, that covers all aspect of our lives including personal preparation for surviving emergencies. 

This recent disaster inspires me to inventory our 72 hour packs and see if we are good to go, be it leaving or staying.  "Shelter in Place".  I like that term a lot.  Shannon and I had many, many conversations about being ready for whatever comes along.  Be it 3 months commodities on hand or 72 hour packs at the ready.

I saw pictures of NY people in stores, standing in front of empty shelves, that once were stocked with water.  Do you have some on hand? 

Make sure you have some sort of toidy.  a 5 gallon bucket with trash bags?  you figure it out but get ready to take care of that necessary but odorous business if you are asked to stay home.

Here is something that I feel is essential in all 72 hour packs....an umbrella.  it will shield you from blazing sun or sleet.  can be used for privacy.  a million and one uses for an umbrella.  When I saw Hurricane Katrina and that mess of handling and the mass suffering....I kept thinking-- if they each had a 72 hour pack and an umbrella they would not be suffering as much.

We are blessed beyond belief to belong to a religion that warns us, instructs us, encourages us, requests that we do these survival things.  Aren't we fools if we don't prepare.  Hmmmmm?  That familiar NT story of the 12 waiting for the Bridegroom.... Which of the 6 do I stand by...the wise or unwise?

get going on your "go bag"!!!!  

No comments: