Monday, May 9, 2011

Why the name?-- A Candlestick

In my previous church going years, I went to a very small Christian Community Church, held in a room-sized Community Hall, a block away from our house. Close enough for my younger sister and I, both just young girls, to walk without supervision. This was in Alaska before Statehood and in the days of safety and unpaved roads and lots of pioneer type entrepreneur people. My parents never attended Church but they made sure we went every Sunday. All cleaned up in our Sunday Best, and a dime or a nickle tied in the corner of our ironed hanky, for the offering plate. One Sunday we went to Church and the adults voted, or so it seemed, and we then became Baptist.   Then they voted on the name. Faith Baptist Church. So then I was Baptist!  Later I got baptized and made it official. The men and boys, just a handful of people, built a cement block basement for us to meet in. Then we had auditions of sort and a preacher was hired.

I was fortunate in those early years to have a Baptist Sunday School teacher that loved the Savior and told me so every week. She loved the scriptures with His stories and she loved to sing songs about Him also. She sang loudly and used vigorous hand motions, which we as a small group of two or three, would do with her. One of her Sunday favorites, sung several times, was an old spiritual, written about 1920, by Harry Loes called This Little Light of Mine.   When I came into the Church I became acquainted with the teaching that Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam.  Our Hymn book is filled with songs about light and the Light.  One of my favorites is The Light Divine.

Light has always held a special place for me...the Northern Lights, twilight, lamplight, sunlight, starlight, moonlight, flashlight, daylight, torchlight, firelight, candlelight and of course, The Light of the World. The Savior Himself. He counsels us that we-- solo as individuals and collectively as His Church-- are to reflect His light through the light within us from living as He would have us live.

So here I am-- just one small candle on A Candlestick. Ready to share the gladness, the Light in my heart, that comes through my testimony in the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And to also share the ups & downs of my mortal trek experiences and I hope you share yours also! We can learn from each other!

3 Nephi 12 :
"14 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I give unto you to be the light of this people. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.
15 Behold, do men light a candle and put it under a bushel? Nay, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light to all that are in the house;
16 Therefore let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven."

Matthew 5 :
"14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday- -Why the name?...A Candlestick
Tuesday- Blessed by Going to Temple
Wednesday-A Dilemma
Thursday-Should I do a blog?
Friday-Inviting the Spirit Through Simple Means

***********************************************************************
If you want to sing any of the Church Hymns just go to this site. Words, music, the whole 9 yards is available! It is just wonderful and inspiring and if you are a bit down and feeling blue, then sing something uplifting on.....LDS Church Music   (The Light Divine  -Hymn #305)
************************************************************************
Introd
This Little Light of Mine

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Won't let Satan blow it out.
I'm gonna let it shine.
Won't let Satan blow it out.
I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Let it shine til Jesus comes.
I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine til Jesus comes.
I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Hide it under a bushel - NO!
I'm gonna let it shine.
Hide it under a bushel - NO!
I'm gonna let it shine, Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Let it shine over the whole wide world,
I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine over the whole wide world,
I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine."
******************************************
Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam

1. Jesus wants me for a sunbeam,
To shine for him each day;
In ev’ry way try to please him,
At home, at school, at play.

2. Jesus wants me to be loving
And kind to all I see,
Showing how pleasant and happy
His little one can be.

Chorus
A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
I’ll be a sunbeam for him.

Words: Nellie Talbot
Music: Edwin O. Excell, 1851–1921
************************************

The Light Divine --#305

1. The light of God rests on the face
Of brook and flow’r and tree
And kindles in our happy hearts
The hope of things to be.

[Chorus]
Father, let thy light divine
Shine on us, we pray.
Touch our eyes that we may see;
Teach us to obey.
Ours the sacred mission is
To bear thy message far.
The light of faith is in our hearts,
Truth our guiding star.

2. The light of faith abides within
The heart of ev’ry child;
Like buds that wait for blossoming,
It grows with radiance mild.

3. Today thine unseen purposes
By faith’s rare light we feel.
Dear Father, make us pure in heart;
To us thy will reveal.

Text: Matilda Watts Cahoon, 1881–1973.
Music: Mildred T. Pettit, 1895–1977, arr.



No comments: