Monday, May 16, 2011

Rambling still!....

That was so nice to read your comments and to know someone is out there!  There must be some way I can respond on the comments to the writer.  I don't know how.  I thought your notes were interesting, reminiscent and filled with good counsel.  It's an entirely new way of life when you come into the Church and as converts, when we try to incorporate some of our old familiar things, like candles or the comfort of more casual relaxed dressing etc. sometimes people don't know what to say.  Wearing the crucifix, seeing the Savior on the cross, must have been appalling to that sister.  In looking back at the beginning as I was learning the basic do's and don'ts of things, I now realize that some were prepared to teach & guide and other's were sort of in the preach & chide mode.   

I remember asking a sister, that had taken me under her wing, if she and her husband would like to go boating after Church the next Sunday and have a picnic at the beach.  She said...we were hoping you'd come have Sunday dinner with us next week and talk about the Sabbath...  

Another time, another place,  I was teaching the Laurels and decided, on my own, that a melodrama would be fun to do.  I ordered the script, cast the play with the girls playing all roles- male and female, talked about costumes, read through it etc. but ended up returning to Alaska before the play got any further along.  I challenged the girls to do it without me.  After getting settled I contacted them to see how the play was coming along and found out the play was canceled as it was not allowed with that casting etc. etc. 

There have been several incidents in my Church-learning-life and I'm sure all converts have to learn the ropes and all have similar experiences. (How many were looking forward to dinner at the Steak House?!)  In looking back, I wish someone had told me to just relax and enjoy the ride and that I was actually fine and okay, just as I was at that moment.  I now live by the personal creed...what you see right now is me doing the best I can/this is all I am/I'm a work in progress/at this second it's not going to get better/this is it.  It would have been terrific, to have had someone tell me that. 

Sometimes as converts we feel no matter how hard we try, we just never quite measure up and that is tough to take.  I learned to look to Savior and not to the members and that was a tremendous help in spiritual growth.  The single overwhelming challenge of learning how to pray and then get a handle on praying several times a day, is a skill that we should receive some sort of blue ribbon for, don't you think?!  And that is only one thing on the list of incorporation's.  I want it all.  I bought into this knowing that I wanted to live a religious life, as found in this Church, so it makes sense that I'd seek what to bring into my life as a part of that desire.  I don't feel forced, coerced or put upon nor do I feel picked on etc.  And I definitely don't want things changed around.  Things are fine the way they are.  It's just sometimes a bit rocky to get on that narrow path that seems to be filled, from the new converts viewpoint, with those gliding along religious multi-taskers, seeming to breathe without effort, and there I am hyperventilating.  I've learned though.  and let it be known that I have found that energy spent in endeavoring to be obedient brings beautiful personal blessings that confirm that it's a good thing to do!!  Did I tell you today that I love The Gospel?  I just did! 

When we see those sorts of incidents, I think we  need to really think it through and if possible figure out a gentle and general way to teach what is accepted/expected etc.  Sometimes it does have to be done immediately but usually things can wait, all can be taught, and no one is put on the spot.  The scripture...the Lord looks to the heart... is so applicable to converts and our treatment of them/us as we find our way.

I love the new Handbook 2.  I wish I'd had something like that when I joined the Church and I would have read every single page.  It didn't exist.  I want to fully embrace the standards etc. of the Church and that is an easy way to learn.  It's available on line for all to read. 

go to the first button on the sidebar for all the very latest in the Church happenings!  There is a lot going on!!

  
                                               
                                                 

No comments: