Friday, May 13, 2011

Inviting the Spirit Through Simple Means







Strengthening the Home 1.4.1

Followers of Christ are invited to “gather,” “stand in holy places,” and “be not moved” (D&C 45:32; 87:8; 101:22; see also 2 Chronicles 35:5; Matthew 24:15). These holy places include temples, homes, and chapels. The presence of the Spirit and the behavior of those within these physical structures are what make them “holy places.”

Wherever Church members live, they should establish a home where the Spirit is present. All members of the Church can make efforts to ensure that their place of residence provides a place of sanctuary from the world. Every home in the Church, large or small, can be a “house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God” (D&C 88:119). Church members can invite the Spirit into their homes through simple means such as wholesome entertainment, good music, and inspiring artwork (for example, a painting of the Savior or a temple).

~~The above quotes are the first couple of paragraphs from the new Handbook 2 which is available online. Read and enjoy section 1.4.1~~ 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had always thought of "standing in Holy Places" associated with the Temple so it really made an impact on me when I read that includes homes and chapels also.  Mentioning 3 ways, 3 simple means, of inviting the Spirit into our homes through... 1)wholesome entertainment, 2) good music and 3) inspiring art work and mentioning gracing our homes with a painting of the Savior or a Temple.

Many of our LDS homes now have religious art and religious artifacts pertaining to our faith.  This has come into prominence in the last several years as LDS artists have developed and shared more and more of their wonderful talents.  I have not always been at ease with pictures of Christ predominantly displayed and seen right when you walk in my front door.  My favorite picture of the Savior is, Bloch's Gethsemane painting, with the Angel comforting and ministering to him.  I keep it back in my office amongst all the somewhat organized but mostly cluttery space and as I look at it every day, I'm reminded of His mercy, compassion, grace and His knowing that I'm weak and I know it also.  Some might not enjoy this particular print as I do.

When I read that Handbook 2 counsel I thought of Myra Faye and her acquisition over the years of selected LDS art and how lovely it is in her home.  And Crystal with her beautiful Temple print.  

As Crystal told me...


So the temple picture I've got is the Logan Temple. It is printed on a canvas Daren bought from Deseret book store about a year and a half ago. I haven't had any temple pictures before, and I was studying some old conference addresses that stressed the importance of having a picture of the temple in our homes. I mentioned to Daren it would be nice to have one of the Logan temple, since we were married there, and he found this. It is alot larger than I would have ever gotten, about 2 feet by 4 feet. However, I like it being that big because I think the kids will never doubt that the temple is important to us. Also, when non-members come into our home they will often ask about it, or realize we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Since I am a fairly reserved person it is nice to have because most people comment on it, and then I have an opportunity to tell a little about it.
 I also thought of Teri and how she so cleverly and creatively displayed several pictures of the Savior, by various artists, as a wall grouping.  Here is what
Teri shared...

"I have a vaulted ceiling so wanted a large picture of Christ to go on it. But alas, the one I really wanted was out of my price range (and come to find out, out of print) so I thought maybe I would just put several smaller pictures there and then put a border around it to make it cohesive. I chose the pictures by what they were and if I liked them and then by color. The warmer colored ones went on the wall with the border, the cooler ones on the opposite wall that has a flower arrangement above them. I paid no attention to who the artist was just went by what I had and what I liked. I did buy a few frames that I knew would go together but didn't try to match any of them per se. I sort of knew what I wanted the border to look like and then taped off the sections and painted it. There are three border lines, all different colors. It makes the inner part look like it is a different color than the rest of the wall even though it is the same. My wall was a little rough so I did a little hand touch up painting after the initial painting.  I have 6 pictures and a small framed quote. I don't know about the impact on my family but it didn't deter the thief that broke into our house. (Ha) I do think that it gives a calming, peaceful aura to our everyday business. This is the room we have our morning devotional so that just adds to the reverence."

I have always enjoyed pictures of the Temple and have bought several different ones, small sizes but have always been searching for the one that just speaks to my heart and says it all.  I found it!  I ordered it!  It is here!  Unframed.  still in the cardboard mailer tube.  This is so symbolic to me.  I got as big a print as my small spaced house would allow in the allotted spot.  I wish I could have gotten the very biggest as I am so thrilled with what I found.  That quote from Handbook 2 and this quote from Sister Julie Beck really sent me on a quest to find a picture that grabbed my heart.




Relief Society:A Call to Minister by Julie Beck
"As the female half of the Father’s plan, women have tremendous influence in creating a climate where the spirit can nurture their family’s spiritual growth and protect them, Sister Beck said. Yet it is one of the roles women neglect most.
“You have the ability to create a climate in your home where the Spirit resides,” she continued. “The temple has a certain climate, and when you walk in there you recognize it. The world should be able to recognize that in your homes.”

Want to see what I ordered?  Here is a quote by the artist and you can go to her website from here.  I ordered the Salt Lake Temple.  That is the first picture of a Temple when we had the discussions and that was the first Temple we ever went to.   Check the site and take a peek at what I bought!




Refuge From the Storm
                                      by Cortney C. Lunt
" And there shall be a tabernacle for a shadow in the daytime from the heat, and for a place of refuge, and for a covert from storm and from rain.  Isaiah 4:6
The world in which we live can sometimes seem like a storm. It is continually becoming stronger, and can at times feel cold and harsh.
One way we can find shelter and escape the troubles that we face is by going to the temple.
The House of the Lord can stand against anything. It is there for us as a 'Refuge from the Storm.'"
www.luntart.com
My childhood home did not have religious art or objects.  No crosses or anything of the sort.  I did have a blue cloth-covered book of Children's Bible Stories that I pored over and wondered about the illustration of Jacob's Ladder.  We frequently sang a song in my Baptist Sunday School class about-- every rung goes higher higher as we get closer, or was it nearer?, to God, elevating in pitch as we ascended the ladder in our minds.

Coming into my new Church, my wonderful current Church, I wondered where the cross was in the building and outside on the building.  Nothing on the walls.  A bare "sanctuary".  No cross on the Hymnal.  With so much new to absorb that didn't seem to be at the top of my "wonder why" list and I didn't really question why things were stark and plain. 

Then came the time Hubby gave me a small gold crucifix.  He was tender in sharing, now that we were religious and even though I'd never worn a cross, this was something he wanted me to have.  We were both misty-eyed.  It was a sweet moment and symbolic to us of our commitment to our religion.  We both had that warm fuzzy feeling, you sometimes get.  Primary was that day and I wore my religious symbol as I busily did my new-to-me, Secretary duties.  The Primary President saw the cross and the horror of her reaction and my total embarrassment has never left me.  I felt that little one inch or so cross, nestled in my neck, grew to the dimension of 6 feet or so, as I saw her recoil in shock and lambast me and question me.  I was apologizing like crazy.  Teary for sure.

I went home and put the cross away and chose not to tell Hubby.  He would occasionally ask why I didn't wear it and I always made some excuse- not wanting to hurt him as I'd been that day.  He's very forgetful so it sort of faded from his mind.  Eventually I threw it out.  I really wish I hadn't done that.  It would have made a terrific piece for an object lesson in Early Morning Seminary or YW Standard Nights.  So anyhow...not to be gloomy or complainy.  With a bit more of life lived, for that sister and myself, we both would have handled that situation very differently.  Such is life.  A very long roundabout way for just trying to get the point across-- I didn't have religious articles be it jewelery or pictures or etc. in my home.

I remember when the New Era (preceded The Ensign) came out with a full color issue of breathtaking paintings, the most amazing religious art I'd ever seen, by Carl Bloch.  It's just been in the last years that we have started hanging pictures in the halls etc. of our Church buildings.  What a thrill when we got our new building a year ago and the pictures, previously selected, arrived and were hung.  We have a large assortment of big beautiful pictures that add so much to the feel of the building.


What do you have in the line of religious art, in your home, that speaks to your heart?
                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So there we go. Week 1. done. an introduction of sorts. What does the future hold in this adventure of me being a blogger? That remains to be seen. As of right now, I only know that I will enjoy the journey and hope you do too, as we get to know each other. I hope you will share your thoughts.  Mon-Fri is when I plan to post.  I'm sure I'll level out, perhaps be less wordy, and find my comfort zone of sharing what I love and know to be true...The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's about integration isn't it?... is the Church woven into my life OR is my life woven into the Church? Is my life seamless OR patched as I live my religion?

See you Week Two? I hope so!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





                                               Monday- -Why the  name?...A  Candlestick                                                      
                                                    Tuesday- Blessed by Going to Temple




Wednesday-A Dilemma
Thursday-Should I do a blog?
Friday-Inviting the Spirit Through Simple Means












                                               
                            




                                          

 




No comments: