Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Still thinking of my Birthday!!

My birthday is the day before Mother's Day so it's sort of like those that have birthdays the day before Christmas.  It's there, acknowledged and things sort of merge into oneness and that is just fine.  Not being one that pays a lot of attention to the exact years that I've been around, it's all fine.  This year I was invited to a baby shower on my birthday and was eager to go.  It was a sweet surprise to be serenaded with the Happy Birthday song by the attendees.  An impromptu event- by the hostess announcing it was my birthday. 

I was caught off guard with the emotions I had when I looked at the young mother-to-be, so very pregnant and so very ready to hold this little unborn son in her arms.  I knew her approximate age and thought of how extremely youthful she appeared.  Then the thought entered my mind that my mother had been younger than her, by 5 years, when she had me.  It really touched me to think of my Mother at that time in her life and the tough delivery that ensued in bringing me to earth.  On the way home I thought of our wonderful Ward, that I love being a part of, and the mix of people.  Right now we have lots of young Mothers, bearing children, creating families for eternity and I admire their strength and courage. 

The world in the last days is not always a pleasant place but these women are stalwarts in creating families, introducing them to Gospel living and actions, teaching them what they need to know to be as safe as possible in the world, and enjoying being a Mother to their heart's desire.  We have Mom's of all ages and stages in our Ward.  And we have lots of those with Mother hearts...Aunties, Grandma Substitutes, Mom Substitutes.  A nice Ward, like ours, is a good place for a Mother to succeed in her Mothering goals and plans.

On Mother's day this quote was on our program....it is so nice.  (Thanks, Hal!)

The holiest words my tongue can frame,
The noblest thoughts my soul can claim,
Unworthy are to praise the name
More precious than all other.

An infant, when her love first came,
A man, I find it still the same,
Reverently I breath her name,
The blessed name of mother.

--by George Griffin Fether
*************************
Sister Julie B. Beck said this in a recent talk:
“Our Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, love, value, and rely on their daughters,” she said. “God’s daughters have equal importance in His sight with His sons.” She then pointed out that women have some unique duties and responsibilities in the plan of salvation, and that they share other responsibilities with men.

Female identity in that plan as understood in the gospel of Jesus Christ is “interesting and exciting and unique” and “is one of greatness and richness, choice beyond comparison,” Sister Beck said. This is also in direct contrast with the debased and devalued identity of women often portrayed in the world today, she said, including identities based on sensuality, prestige, power, money, and leisure.

“The identity we have from Heavenly Father can be fully understood only through spiritual confirmation,” she said. “An intellectual study can be made, but a spiritual confirmation teaches us who we are and what we are to do. … The identity of a daughter of God is precious beyond compare and rich and full.

She then said that as “guardians of hearth and home,” women “have responsibility for the hearts and souls” of Heavenly Father’s children.

“They are given this powerful and influential leadership role,” she said. “The female responsibility of being a wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, and friend … is all about nurturing, teaching, and influencing. These are non-negotiable responsibilities. We can’t delegate them. We can accept them and live them. These are things we understood before we were born, and we can’t negotiate with the Lord whether they’re part of His plan. These are our responsibilities.”
                                                                        ***********************

True the day of honoring Mothers is past but for some reason I keep thinking of how young my Mother was at 22 and appreciating her effort in doing the best she could as a Mom.  We all know that there is no end to mothering, every day is Mother's day, 24/7.  enjoy reading the talk below.  It's a classic in the Church and was used in our Ward's Mother's Day Sunday, by the youth speaker, Madeline.


                                                     Friday afternoon session, October 5, 1973

                     “Behold Thy Mother”                           

Elder Thomas S. Monson


No comments: