Friday, April 10, 2015

Overwhelmed???

Today I looked out the window and saw the lilacs in bloom.  I also saw a bouquet size bunch of dandelions in their yellow glory.  Weeds?-those pesty wild morning glories!  All over the place!  oh, yes!





My silent thought...I'm not ready for this.  Spring in bloom?

How many times in life do we acknowledge our un-readiness?  The powerful thing about life, be it age or stage or season, of ourselves or our surroundings...life happens.  Ready or not, there are some things that just roll along in spite of our protest of wanting to put things on hold.

I remember as a girl playing hide and go seek and hearing it count to the agreed upon number of 100 and at the end shouting out...ready or not...here I come!  I remember the sing-songy two syllable ring on the last words...naugh-ott.... kuh-um

I also remembered the play we did years ago, My Turn on Earth.  The scene where the Heavenly voice says...time to come home.  The summoned character says...I'm not ready! and the Voice replies...ready or not. Time to come home!  that same sing-songy way...hoe-ohm  red-dee  naugh-ott.

The play was powerful at that point with the soloist singing the plaintive- I'm not Ready!

Ready or not!  Mortality is happening!  My mortality!  life is rolling on and I better get on board.  now.
  
Those lilacs with all their beauty and scent, that is worth mannerless gulping air, remind me that life will go on whether I feel ready or not.  So the lilacs in bloom remind me to take time to smell the roses!

Needs: To inhale, regroup, and roll with the reality of life and most particularly my own.  To put the chairs on the porch and start to breathe and enjoy the weather that actually caresses my skin, invigorates my mind, creates thankfulness for the life I have.



 The freshly picked lilacs perfume the over-warm room and I feel relatively whole.



Now IF you are having an overwhelming time.  The sort of-- how can I do it all...no matter what I never measure up... this is to much and all that sort of overloaded feeling and ready to blow a fuse and crash and burn....IF that is how you feel then do this--- Get whatever you like to drink or nibble on and go sit out on your porch chair and read this talk by Sister Patricia Holland.  Elder Jeffery Hollands wife.  I remember when she went through this tough time and I felt she was to be applauded with her super honest feelings of being overwhelmed.  It was at a time when we Church ladies didn't really speak out frankly about feeling overwhelmed with our lives.

Anyhow...read and enjoy!

 “One Thing Needful”: Becoming Women of Greater Faith in Christ

One little tidbit to entice you...

"But one of the most unfortunate side effects we have faced in this matter of agency is that, because of the increasing diversity of life-styles for women of today, we seem even more uncertain and less secure with each other. We are not getting closer, but further away from that sense of community and sisterhood that has sustained us and given us strength for generations. There seems to be an increase in our competitiveness and a decrease in our generosity with one another."  read entire talk here

No comments: