Sunday, August 24, 2014

Almost ready to drive off!

Already we are running a day late and we haven't even left yet!!  Terry was feeling a bit done in and didn't want to take off.  I was fine with leaving a day late.  Then he remembered it was a Sunday and he didn't want us to travel on the sabbath.  I agreed.  so no contention there on any counts.

There is a bit of strain on things with peaches though.  I bought fresh picked peaches to gift our loved ones.  Honestly, Terry acts like we will have the invasion of the fruit fly's...the car will never be the same, do you know how fast they multiply, we will never get rid of them... etc. etc. There is not a fruit fly any where near the peaches!

The loving concerned nay-sayers increase in numbers but we will press forth.  well, once we get in the car we will!  It feels good to have people care about our safety.  Love is so comforting/cozy/good!

Essential for travel--I had my nails done.  Painted in the special ordered, OPI Red polish, that Jen, my daughter-in-law, gave me.  My mind was on the frivolity of such an unnecessary enjoyable self-indulgent luxury as I was thinking about-- Ebola, beheadings, drought, starving/thirsty children, Africa and those sort of worldly things-- when I entered the pampering zone.

I was questioning the insanity of the woes of our last-days world and wondering if that bit of nail-care money could be put to better use...I was thinking of how blessed I am to have the life I do, interspersed with suffering abounding world-wide... so much lack and me with so much abundance.  My thoughts were interrupted by the masked young man manicurist muttering...wah han...while simultaneously not missing a beat in quickly moving nail files around.  I was able to interpret his 2 Asian words into English... please, go wash your hands in the back of the room.

Later I easily understood the direction si, accompanied by basic sign language- pointing index finger- to a chair at the drying nails table.  I sat there thinking of how customers are just money in the till and manners are not needed or used in any form.  I admit I was not going to win Miss Congeniality that day in the thought department.  I sat there feeling the air on my lacquer looking nails and checked out the really big Buddha staring past me.  A 4' or so golden Buddha with a girth of equal size, gaping mouth grin, fat rolls and jowls and belly bedraggling plus dangling ear lobes the size of golf balls.  underneath him... an open shelf with available incense and a package of half eaten cookies (an offering of some sort?)

I just took some deep breaths, calmed down and felt gratitude to be me and live where I do and most important to have the Gospel that reminds me --God knows.  He knows it all.  He knows my heart.  He knows the world happenings.  The only peace is in the Gospel and as I shift my focus to that fact and remind myself that I don't have to be some sort of martyr and forgo OPI Red in order to save the world...I really felt good inside. I can just do what I can.

Still do.  (feel good inside)    



No comments: