Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My Material Possesions!!

So my seemingly endless de-junk/downsize rampage is still my focus.  Life, regular daily life, with it's interruptions and routine continues but I just keep on keeping on with my 1st phase goal.

Life- took Terry to Dr.  He most likely is having gall bladder attacks.  They will do an ultra sound next week to see what is going on in there.  Feeling he will be just fine.

Life- Olympic Figure Skating- Love it!!

Life- My de-junk 1st phase goal.  Moving ahead.

Do you enjoy material?  Beautiful fabric.  I use to buy fabric like all factories were closing down and I better stock up before it was all gone.  I'd buy 4 yards of whatever I thought the loveliest.  I knew that fabric was an art form, and except for the very oldest patterns that had become traditional, that they would be a fleeting seasonal thing.  Patterns also.  So my co-dependent self must have been ready to make quilts for the Ward?  the town?  Matching dresses for each Ward family?  with neckties for the men?  who knows?

At some point I realized the madness has to stop.  I'd fallen out of love was lots of my earlier loves so I gave trash bags filled with past treasures to the Humanitarian Leader, she who actually uses the fabric for those in need.  I really whittled it down.  Promised myself (not sure if that can actually be banked on) to not purchase 4 yard lots.  and dropped it to 1/2 yard.  considered 1/4 yard.  then Fat squares came into vogue and those were tempting.  Terry built me a closet and I decided whatever I could place (translated cram) on said shelves would be within my storage laws.

On this project the only thing I removed were the two dust-ruffles that I'd found when I cleaned under the bed (1) and behind the chair (1).   I figured they were a great chunk of fabric and would make great costumes (for Broadway??) out of the damask one or a Victorian dress, for a little girl, out of the battenburg lace.  All that center fabric, that the mattress rests on, would be lots of yardage.  Did I mention our bed is not equipped for a damask dust ruffle or any dust-ruffle?  and the back bedroom is the same.  Queen-size dust ruffle on bunks or even a queen size Murphy bed just doesn't work.

Here is how it looked when I started....
-
The start

the 2 dust ruffles that I'm trying to convince myself I'll use...for something....someday.
I did it!  sad to say they are gone.  Such a waste but I had to do it!!!
always lurking--- ribbon for Women's Conference in November!!!

Ribbon has a new home!!  see fat quarters next to pin cushion?  beauties for sure.
Food storage?  no.  they are containers for Notions.  that is what my Mother would say.  Notions.


 Most adorable dress pattern ever!!


Skirt has no gathers at empire waist and yet 4 gores allow it to hang smooth and it is actually a full circle skirt!!  Girls adore the swing of it.  I was so captivated by it that I bought all sizes right up to a size 14.  Of course my over the top plans, of every sister in the Ward that had a baby girl would receive one, were only accomplished in my dreams!!  It's for a trim little girl and not for all body types.  I did sew 4 of them plus 4 matching doll dresses and they were, totally bragging, designer worthy in fabric and sewing.  The patterns are no longer available (did company close also?) and the year I decided that I had to have them all, they were out of stock so I hunted one down in Oregon.  Maybe I was thinking I'd start a trend in high school or something with those large sizes?  This yellow fabric is old Daisy Kingdom (which I was mad for) and it's actually a dress that is half cut out but of course...not completed.  I keep thinking that someday I'll do it.  This will stay and someone can toss it when I'm long gone but not me!!  Did I mention that I love cabbage roses.  love this print!!!!

Years ago when times were rough and tough and I'd wonder if I would survive...I decided that about the best thing a person can do when darkness prevails is to create a spot of beauty and create a little light.  I took a quilting class and fell in love with making quilts (tops.  of course.  did you really think I'd finish all of them????)  There was something so peaceful, so creative, so exact, so lovely and pulled all of my focus to that project and away from the burdens of my mind/life/soul.  I loved the entire journey of the choice and planning and doing.  I should have taken a picture of one of my quilt tops!  who am I kidding?  I still have some!!!

Time went on and I continued to have that feeling of creating a spot of beauty.  a bit of brightness and hope in prevailing darkness.  Appropriately enough I decided to make a Crazy Quilt!!  I decided to make fancy squares with beads and lace and blanket stitch embroidery.  It was a marvelous adventure and gave me such hope in knowing that nothing tough lasts forever, as this is mortality, and forever is for eternity.  Sometimes someone would see a square that I was working on.  I'd tell them about it.  Then I'd end up giving them one.  I'd let them choose.  I'd tell them when time gets rough just think of the beauty of the Gospel.  Look at this and realize things will get better.  sometimes I'd just take one to someone that I thought needed it.

I had no intention of making a quilt but the last square I gave away the woman said I should have made a wall hanging or a quilt.  she actually framed her block.

I stopped giving them because I stopped making them because my eyes weren't as sharp.  I have a few left and someday (I know.  I know.) I hope to finish them.  I need to keep one because occasionally I take a peek at it when I need to pull myself together.

small beautiful beads that I used on the squares.
4 left. silky and lovely.  a bit of my heart in those squares.

The only finished one.  I left the edges raw because life is sometimes that way!!

finished!  too dark and I cut off top shelf.  I'll take another tomorrow.

My Mother and I made and finished lots of quilts for her Grandchildren and then she made a couple for me to have to give.  I'll take a picture tomorrow.  Correct.  I still have them.  They are not finished.  I spared you the ordeal of showing you all the stacks of fabric.  Aren't you thankful?



No comments: