Wednesday, October 2, 2013

More Conference Preparation!!!

Thanks for sharing what you are doing to make Conference special at your home!

Here are a few more ideas!!

***************************************************

From Julianna....

Every Conference Saturday we have conference donuts. One of us will go get donuts and be back in time for the session. Then on Sunday we have people over for the morning session and have brunch between sessions. This means we have cleaned the house by Friday, and shopping is done by then too.
 

We have one specific friend who now hasn't been to church in more than a year, but this friend comes to conference just for the brunch. So it is a fellowshipping activity too!
 

A clean/tidy house always invites the spirit, but more than that it allows us the time to just enjoy the conference.
 

I always go to conference with something I am wanting answered/to learn. The Lord doesn't always take care of what I thought I needed, but always answers my problems in some way.

PS-you're welcome to join us for Sunday brunch. :)


Then I asked her what they served.....

We have breakfast casserole, waffles, bacon or sausage (or both), sometimes fruit, sometimes muffins, milk, juice. People usually end up bringing something and we end up with lots of food.
Grigg's always come. Fletchers and Megan are our probablys. We are also inviting Gordon's. I'm not sure who else.
 

We'd love to have you!
***************************************************
From Emma

Last year I think I got my ideas from you!

Usually the week before Conference we have a FHE lesson about listening to the prophet. I admit the kids love Conference Weekend because we bribe them! We want them to participate and listen, so we have "Conference Candy". David's favorite thing is to have a list of words that he is listening for and then mark them off as they are said (the second page of the attached pdf). I realized when we did the BINGO cards, when they were filled up they weren't listening any more. Our new favorite thing is the candy jars. I pick 3 words that I think will be said during Conference, and when those words are said they get a piece of candy. I usually pick two common words like "Scriptures" or " Temple", and then one that might or might not be used, like "Primary", that way they are still listening for that word. I still print out word searches and coloring pages to keep them occupied as well. They also love the Sunday Morning Session because we go to the Iverson's, and enjoy a huge brunch afterward.

As for myself I pray about things I am struggling with, or questions I have. If I am really concerned about something inevitably the topic will be addressed in conference. Whether it's guidance, or reassurance I always hear what I need to. I look forward to Conference this weekend! 

*******************************************

From Wendy (her loving way of dealing with a reluctant precious son)

Since my boys will no longer be going "out" for their priesthood meeting and treat, I promised them a homemade apple pie and ice cream right in the comfort of their own home!! I'm sooo hoping Jacob will watch and enjoy conference and Pie with Spencer and Michael!!
********************************************

From Sara....(be sure and check out the lego Temple!  Sara and I are unlikely friends but that we are!  She taught me how to do my blog and set it up for me.  Thus she is my friend!  She has to be the most organized efficeint busy woman, of any age, that I've ever met!  She will share with us next April!)

I don't have time to write up our general conference traditions today as I am preparing for our school's big fundraiser, the Jog-a-thon. October seems to be a full month with the jog-a-thon, the primary in charge of the ward Halloween party, and our primary program.
I do however have a link to my blog of a short write up that I did last year:
http://dittofam.blogspot.com/search?q=general+conference


*********************************************

from Chelle (our terrific Ward Seminary teacher) ......

We're getting familiar with the First Presidency and Quorum of the 12 in Seminary in preparation for General Conference.

Love the blog!
                                        *******************************************

One thing I'd do if I had kiddo's at home would be to give out hymn books, have them find the page, stand and sing with the choir!   I'd also teach them the above song that Chelle shared.  that is great!!
I would ask them to listen for the announcement of new Temples.  and also ask how many Missionaries are in the field.   I would also do this printout for children, that Emma mentioned. here.

Food seemed to be important both yesterday and today so that would be a really fun thing to plan.

For us?....
The house is getting spiffed up.  We don't work fast but we plod and it does get done.  
Meatloaf is being discussed.  Ice-cream?  That is not figured out yet but it will be by Friday and purchased/fixed or whatever.

Another nice thing about preparing and planning and thinking about it--it keeps it in your mind and builds the excitement.

Thanks for sharing.  Lets go for it!!  Conference Celebration!!!  Isn't that what Sarah called it yesterday?  I like that!!

No comments: