Monday, October 21, 2013

I enjoy Sundays!

The feeling of family, family that is kind/gentle/accepting, is what I feel in the Church. 

Sunday was a day of seeing that kindness in action...a sister soloist forgot her lyrics, admitted she had, walked to piano, glanced at words and came back to podium very composed and sang clearly/sweetly/beautiful. 

A man was giving a talk that had some complexities with him using paper cups to illustrate the gospel tenets in Christs Church anciently.  He was to build it up, knock it over, then rebuild it.  He lost his place. 

In both instances people understood, were patient and waiting until each found their composure to carry on. 

A sister was leading the music, in a Spanish Branch, and started to close the book after verse 3 but was brought back to the reality that there was a vs. 4 when the pianist struck the opening notes. 

Each of these people were comfortable with their humanness as were all of us sharing those moments with them.

A couple of weeks ago our organist, played an entire hymn, not the one to be sung, realized her error, smilingly finished it and then switched to the one that was scheduled.  We laughed for a second and then smiled as did she.

Yesterday, I'd already gone to my own Ward sacrament when I went visiting a Spanish Branch, as had the Stake RSP.  She shared the plight of a young man, giving his first Sacrament talk and had the dilemma of starting to cry.  She said she didn't know if it was because it was his first talk and he was nervous, or not as prepared as he thought or what, but he handled the waterworks by using his necktie, to take care of business, and bypassed the Kleenex sitting close at hand.  She said he did it twice!  I asked how the congregation was and she said very kind, quiet, smiling perhaps, but gentle.

We understand our Saintly fellow citizens.  We enjoy each other.  Know each other.  Understand each other and Sunday meetings are just great no matter which way you look at it or what is happening.

Oh, my.  I just remembered those two dog stories from a couple of years ago.  I'll look them up and you can read them and enjoy them again!  They were memorable for sure!!

Here they are! Makes me laugh anew!!


5/25/11 (dog hopping on sacrament table) here  ...
  http://acandlestick.blogspot.com/2011/05/speaking-of-westminster-dogs.htm

 ( The story of the dog hopping on the sacrament table during the Sacrament hymn was matched or overtaken by this story from Maurine W.   Thanks, Maurine!  I LOVE this!!!)

Okay...I'm just going to write it down, I can't wait any longer to tell you the other story. Yes, Bob and I were in attendance when the dog bounced up to the podium and the Bishop as shocked as anyone took a minute to jump up and retrieve him from the sacrament table. That afternoon I called my daughter, Marie, and told her the story. She said, "Oh, Mom, I have one better than that". A few months ago a woman visitor had her seeing eye dog with her. They came in and sat on a back row, she at the end of the row, and the dog sat down beside her in the isle. Well at the intermediate song a member of their ward was singing a solo when the dog decided to sing with her. It set up a howl that shocked everyone, especially the lady with the dog. She said that the lady kept singing, but she was so embarrassed and of course so was the lady with the dog. But, she said it was so hilarious that everyone else had a hard time to not laugh out loud....keeping a straight face was almost impossible. I had to agree, that one trumped our experience here. Before that I had never heard of a dog coming to church and performing as those two did.

Nancy....have a good day. It looks like a beautiful one!!!

No comments: