Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Connecting

The Tent Elders did baptize her!!!  and she did feel a special connection with Elder Poulos!!  I vaguely remembered him telling me that Wilma had felt that she had known him before this life but I was so whiny and focused on feeling sorry for myself ,in being so put upon, that they were camped in the back yard (non-existent. remember?) that I missed the amazing connection!  The connection on the timing of her interest, willingness and desire and the Tent Duo being there-- willing, able, and chomping at the bit, to share the Gospel.  An interconnectedness that I somehow or other separated.  Wilma and her daughter got baptized.  The Elders camping out back in a tent.  It should have been a connection....Wilma and her daughter got baptized because the Elders lived in a tent in the back!!!  There was a huge connection!!!

It was good that my inner-self grumpiness/tearyness/whininess  remained contained (except to my husband-- and oh my, did he get an earful!) because I remember with tenderness the feelings I had for Wilma.  I forgot how desirous her young daughter was to be baptized.  So even at my worst inner  ravings, my heart evidently was still mostly in a good place of love and concern for her.  It was interesting to read what she remembers of Terry and I and our conduct towards her.

A part of her letters read.....

 On the way back out of town Merrie Anne spotted a big sign that said Open House at the LDS church for the following Monday and Tuesday. Merrie Anne, from a very young age wanted to go to church. Several years before I had gone to a Methodist church because I had been a member of that church but I had gotten offended by the pastor when I had asked him a question and he threw his head back and laughed as though I had asked something really stupid. I got up and walked out thinking I would never go back to church again. I knew there was a God, but who needed a church....anyway over the years Merrie Anne had attended many different churches with anyone who would invite her to go with them. She went to Pentecostal churches, catholic churches, the Nazarene church, and maybe some others. 

 When we moved to Homer she tried going to the Baptist youth group but the kids there would not accept her there. So when she saw the open house sign she begged me to take her to it. I told her I would. The following Monday we forgot about the open house. Tuesday about noon she said "Mom, we need to go to that open house at the LDS church". That was about noon. I said, "Oh, Honey, it is getting late, lets not go" She started to cry and said, "But Mom, you promised!"  So I agreed to go. The 16 miles of dirt road was terrible that day....worse than usual. I was tempted to turn around about half way there but she insisted we keep going. She did not want to miss the open house. So on we went. 

When we pulled in to the parking lot I still remember Terry and Elders Poulos and Halverson coming out to greet us with smiling faces. Never before had I been greeted at any other church like that. What an impression it made on me! 

As we went through and seeing all the displays I wasn't too impressed but when they showed the movies called "Man Search For Happiness" and "Ancient America Speaks" I was touched by the Spirit and I knew I had come home. When Elder Poulos asked if they could come to our home and give us the lessons I told him we would like that. 

 Within a month, Merrie Anne and I were baptized. We have never looked back and we continue to grow in the gospel. I love the Gospel and I know that God lives and that Jesus Christ is the head of this great church. What a blessing to be a member of His Church! I leave this with you in the name of Jesus Christ..Amen.

*******************************************************************************

Nancy, I am glad that you enjoyed my story about attending the open house. I had so many wonderful experiences while being in the Homer Branch. I will never forget how you furnished me with books written by general authorities because you did not want me to get something that might not be true. I devoured those books, I could not get enough of them and each Sunday you would send three more home with me. I would be so excited I almost jumped for joy. And I remember you calling me and saying "Wilma, will you fast with me?" That taught me the power of fasting. I will always be grateful to you for all you did to help me along in the gospel....I was so new to it then.

Yes, I felt very strongly about having Elder Poulos teach Merrie Anne and me...there was a connection that I felt like I had known him forever. I did not get to know Elder Halverson as he was either transferred or had finished his mission soon after we started taking the lessons. Elder Damon, the Lamanite young man became Elder Poulos' companion and he was great but very quiet. 

Oh how connecting with you has brought back such wonderful memories!

Many thanks for coming back into my life,

Love, Wilma
*******************************************************************************

"The 16 miles of dirt road was terrible that day....worse than usual. I was tempted to turn around about half way there but she insisted we keep going."   (Others had pioneer experiences also!  She lived out East End Road and that would be a bear of a drive at any time but especially at that time of year.  It was amazing that she hung in there for the full 16 miles as that stretch of dirt could take forever to get to town!)

"When we pulled in to the parking lot I still remember Terry and Elders Poulos and Halverson coming out to greet us with smiling faces. Never before had I been greeted at any other church like that. What an impression it made on me!"  (Last day. Finally some visitors! 3 fellows with a great attitude!!)

Yes, I felt very strongly about having Elder Poulos teach Merrie Anne and me...there was a connection that I felt like I had known him forever. (I do remember how touched Elder Poulos was in telling me that Wilma had shared that with him and how it made his mission so special to hear that from her)

"I will never forget how you furnished me with books written by general authorities because you did not want me to get something that might not be true. I devoured those books, I could not get enough of them and each Sunday you would send three more home with me. I would be so excited I almost jumped for joy." (so interesting.  39 years ago I was doing what I still do today...passing on my prejudice against anything non-authoritative, as far as the Gospel goes, when someone wants to learn about the Church.  I'm a fuss budget and it was a part of me way back then!!  and as I said...it still is!  very careful and selective in what I take as a true source of learning and will most likely go to my grave that way.  Hey!  whatever works is the way to go!)

 "Oh, how connecting with you has brought back such wonderful memories!" (My sentiments exactly. who'd of thunk it, huh?  This single segment of connecting with someone from my past, that started out about a month ago, has now come to an end.  Wilma and I will now stay connected and drop notes to each other once in awhile.  The Tent Elders are now a past event in my life that I can think of how tough it was and smile about my sourpuss attitude, pride, and realizing that a lot of eternal good came out of it, for all concerned, in spite of my being Eeyore most of the time!)

I wonder how many times we can't see the forest for the trees because of our faithless vision, lack of desire & our pride?   How many times do we miss that glass of lemonade?  

Better late than never!

The Tent!!

Tent Dwellers- Elder Halverson- Elder Poulos

Elder Damon

Elder Damon- Wilma- Merrie Anne

Elder Poulos - Elder Halverson 2011
Elder Halverson   Elder Poulos

No comments: