Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remembering.....

There are a few events in history that remain etched in our minds and will forever be a part of us.  9/11 is on my list.

I was teaching early morning Seminary in the basement of the Porter home.  class was just over.  I was unaware of the happenings in NY.  The Porter's upstairs TV was on.  I saw it and headed home.

I've never seen anything so horrific happen right before my eyes.  I remember sitting and watching it for hours.  Seeing the hope of those that had triage centers and realizing they weren't able to take in the gravity of the situation, as they pleaded to bring the injured to them.  and seeing people showing pictures to each other or hanging pictures on anything they could post it on, with questions like...have you seen this person?

Watching it from my spectator seat in my living room, I realized that they could not wrap their minds around the fact that a skyscraper reduced to dust, was not going to have survivors to fill their centers nor were those asking have you seen my loved one? able to realize, there was no center where the survivors were waiting to be found.  All the plans in place to take care of people that had actually disappeared in one event, so nightmarish, that even to this day, my mind cannot go to those people in the TV images I sat and absorbed.  Hypnotized and unable to stop watching.

Here are two pictures that my sweet granddaughters drew at that time.



No comments: