Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Circle is Starting to Close!

Tent living was the greatest!   That was the subject heading on the first email I got from Elder H.

I now believe that was truly how he felt about that cold, tough experience basically without any creature  comforts. He was only there for 8 weeks but it was such culture shock that I now understand why he has a brain load of memories that have strengthened him.

Yesterday I said that if I could live it again I would handle everything so much differently.  I thought about that at length and realized-- without maturing through experiences such as that I 'd probably be the same person and handle it the same way with the same feelings.  To my credit I only whined and cried to Terry.  He must have thought they lived there for at least half a century with my emotional overload in full tilt.

I now realize how powerful the experience was, that after 39 years, I also remember it with a lot of clarity. When I started looking for these two Missionaries about 3 weeks ago, I never dreamed of how it would come full circle and I would end up with gratitude that Terry agreed to let them rough it and also thankfulness for the Mission President who went along with it because there was a woman and her daughter that wanted to join the Church.  It was worth it all for that reason alone.

Yesterday I was a bit maudlin and dramatic, as is my nature at times, about being doomed.  I understood the scripture about grudgingly doing what appear to be good deeds.  I ended that thinking this morning and decided enough time to sulk had lapsed and my budget priced pity party, with me being the lone attendant, had run it's course.

I reminded myself of the graciousness of the Lord.  Him taking into consideration my feelings as He looks into my heart.  Thoughts and deeds that I thought were forever in indelible ink, were whisked away, as if it only needed the light of understanding focused on it, to become disappearing ink.  The beauty of the Atonement.  Regret for how I felt/acted was now a part of my life history but not scarring me or dooming me to some dark place.  I am blessed.

                                                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nancy, oh Nancy, how exciting to hear from you. Over the years I have thought about you often and wondered how you were and where you were living. It is so good to hear from you. I just got back from a two week vacation yesterday and that is when I found your note. There is so much to catch up on and I promise you I will write more soon. You and Terry were special in my life and helped me get started on my incredible journey back to my Heavenly Father. How can I ever thank you enough for that!
 Wilma
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would do it all again.  The exact same way!  If the tent was all we could offer.  So be it.  As the very thought of this wonderful woman, joining the Church, and remembering how much we enjoyed each other and how tender and new she was in the Gospel just gave me such peace of mind about the entire tent stint.

 Yesterday I received this......

Nancy, I still almost feel like it is a dream that we have connected again. Did I ever tell you how Merrie Anne and I happened to come to the open house at Homer? Be sure to remind me to tell you about it if I haven't. The Homer Branch was a wonderful place to get a good start in the gospel. Everyone so lovingly embraced us and made us feel so welcomed. It will always hold a very special place in my heart.
Wilma

No comments: