Monday, April 2, 2012

Time to Circle the Wagons?

Conference was amazing, wasn't it???!!!  I was so sad about Sister Beck being released.  And Bishop Burton and his counselors.  They accomplished so much and I could always feel the inspiration in their remarks and changes they made in their tenure.  

I found info on the new RSP and when I saw she'd served in Korea, and the time frame, I immediately thought of Darrel and Linda who also served there but I couldn't remember which Mission.  I fired off a letter with the information I'd found and asked if they knew her and got the following from them.....

"Wow...yes, we know the Burton's quite well. Sister Burton is a wonderful woman and we are sure excited."
"Really exciting!! She was the Mission President's wife in our sister mission."

Sister Linda K. Burton was serving as a member of the Relief Society general board when she received her call to serve as the organization’s president. In her Church callings, she spent three years serving with her husband as he presided over the Korea Seoul West Mission. They returned from Korea in 2010. She also served on the Primary general board, and in various callings in the Young Women, Primary, Sunday School and as a seminary teacher.

She studied elementary education at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City and is married to Craig P. Burton. They have six children and 19 grandchildren.


Small world, huh?  I will miss Sister Beck so much!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I found Conference so amazing, in there being no direct talks about the world conditions and the chaos.  Many veiled mentions to tough times ahead but it was all about living the Gospel and I thought it was refreshing.  Really let me know that they aren't going to talk about food storage, getting out of debt, saving some money etc. etc.  They did those types of talks in detail several times in the past.  I'm still stunned by President Hinckley's talk in Gen. Conf. Oct. 1998.  Most direct talk to Priesthood I've ever heard!  I really believe in direction received at Gen. Conf. 

Years ago, in my first time of teaching the Book of Mormon in early morning seminary, our CES supervisor, told us that the Book of Mormon would parallel the last days and we would see that happening.  Not exactly but as a parallel.  At that time the natural calamities that we now witness couldn't even be imagined nor the violence.  I always draw comfort from knowing what to expect as I'm not caught off guard.  Through Gen. Conf. we receive guidance to fortify us through these last days.

So we do know what to expect in these perilous times and now we've been given some refined things to do, for our peace and to me, safety, right in our own homes with our own families.  Very interesting, in that speakers have no assignments given, for topics, and yet over and over it was focus on family/home.  Temple/scripture study/prayer.  Service/service/service.

President Packer- Church doesn't need more activities.  Family friendly.
Elder Oaks- the Sara Rich he mentioned is Terry's relative.
Larry Wilson- this was an If Only talk for me.  As a convert I wish I'd had this wisdom when I was endeavoring to raise children.  this is a miracle talk for all parents to have!  I felt a bit sad that my children didn't have parents with this attitude and understanding.  I'm happy for all those raising children that heard it!
Elder Holland-"envy universal sin"
Elder Scott- thought about Carol losing Lee.
Elder Ballard- GPS/Liahona/Holy Ghost!!!!!  Amazing talk!  Power packed!!
Elder Anderson-  powerful POWERFUL talk!!  Jam packed.  counsel for "difficult days ahead".
Elder Uchtdorft- Loved the way he stressed importance of unity/no discord etc.  2 word solution...Stop It!
Soares- clearly marked line good/bad
Br. Rasband....thought of Mindi.  her Mission President when she served in NY.  unless things have changed he will perform sealing for her soon-to-be wedding.  loved his quote by Pres. Faust.
Elder Christopherson- Marvelous!!  so filled with information for personal growth and education. Fantastic!
Paul Pieper- that which comes from above is sacred. record it.


and of course Sister Beck- loved her summary of quotes by Prophets about RS.  Knowing this was her last talk at Gen Conf. made me teary in thinking of all her dedicated work these last few years.  Just touched my heart.

And on and on and on!!  There were so many others also!  It was a spiritual feast!! Marvelous talks and insight and instruction.


I really missed hearing from Elder Bednar!!  I look forward to reading the Priesthood talks.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I felt like overall it was a Circle the Wagons Conference!  a pick it up a notch for what is coming down the pike!  a spoonful of sugar helping the medicine go down! a ready or not... things are going to continue to unfold as told and here are some things that you need to get done.  

Each talk was wonderful and I learned something about myself, as far as what I need to do to improve in my life, as a woman that loves the Lord and my Church membership. I look forward to reading and studying the talks when they come online and in The Ensign.  Lots of room for improvement in my life!  and you?  I hope I'm not alone in needing refining!!



 

No comments: