Thursday, April 12, 2012

Enlightening (D&C 11:13-14)

True I can't easily explain how the Holy Ghost communicates with me but I know when communication comes.  There are varied ways of SpiritSpeak that touches and enlightens and teaches and answers questions and gives guidance to me.  Aren't you that way also?  I appreciate those modes/methods of tender mercies.

I was lost in my own thoughts after saying a prayer for a boost.  That feeling of feeling a bit low, not enjoying it, wanting to shake it and unsure of what really needs shaking off.  Sort of bluesy.  Misty-eyed.  Needing, wanting, hoping for a bit of light to pierce the haze.

Then it came.  A line from a hymn.  Clear.  Distinct.  Repeated. 


Haste to your Heav'nly Father's throne 
And sweet refreshment find.

Mulling began.  We were on our way to the Temple.  Was that the place?  Yes.  It is definitely at least one of the places if not the place.
Then another line...
Why should this anxious load
Press down your weary mind? 

Pondering. Why do I get caught up in this sort of worldliness?   What should I do to get rid of these unwelcome thoughts?
Then another line...
I'll drop my burden at his feet
And bear a song away.

Of course!  Let go and let God!  I know that!  Isn't this religion 101??!!!  Why do I keep having to audit the class!!??  Can't I ever get it into my soul and cause it to stick??  I guess as a very real mortal, the answer is...it may not stick permanently but I can fix it enough that it will hold fast for quite some time.  That is very nice to know. 

I spent time singing the phrases that had come to me and trying to remember the Hymn and for the life of me I could not figure it out.  I wanted to hear all of the verses!  I drove Terry wacko in asking him over and over as I sang the 3 phrases and asked repeatedly... what hymn is this!!??  We could not figure it out! 

Sitting in the room in quietness before the session began.  Saying a little prayer of gratitude, for such a lovely message to me, through the hymn and suddenly-- the entire Hymn popped into my mind! 

The first verse just made me teary.  Such wonderful counsel.  Just exactly what I needed.

How Gentle God’s Commands
Hymn #125

1. How gentle God’s commands!
How kind his precepts are!
Come, cast your burdens on the Lord
And trust his constant care.

2. Beneath his watchful eye,
His Saints securely dwell;
That hand which bears all nature up
Shall guard his children well.

3. Why should this anxious load
Press down your weary mind?
Haste to your Heav’nly Father’s throne
And sweet refreshment find.

4. His goodness stands approved,
Unchanged from day to day;
I’ll drop my burden at his feet
And bear a song away.

Text: Philip Doddridge, 1702–1751
Music: Hans Georg Nägeli, 1773–1836; 
arr. by Lowell Mason, 1792–1872

 I came home and looked it up and have read it over several times and sung it also.  Hymns or phrases of hymns, springing into my remembrance unbidden, is one way that I receive guidance.  It is beautiful, pleasant, sweet, gentle, heart-reaching and runs through my mind over and over as I absorb it and see how it fits exactly what I need at that moment.  Lines don't always come in order but what I need pops into my mind and gives me the order I need.

How gentle God's commands.  For sure.  
    

No comments: