Saturday, September 15, 2018

Each life ....Hymn #293

Today was Rose's funeral.  Funerals are so comforting to me and so telling and revealing of things (sometimes) that you didn't know about the person.  Rose had planned her funeral.  When Steve came by that day and gave me the tomatoes, he told me Rose had sent a request list of songs she wanted, to the Bishop. One by one she texted him. They were heavy metal...titles that would be rather shocking at a funeral... AC/DC Highway to Hell! etc. etc. Her Bishop told her....No!  and No!  and NO!  Steve told me that she had insisted that when her casket was wheeled in, she wanted the pianist to play...Pop! Goes the weasel!  Another No! and NO! and NO! !

Steve said that she wanted that so much that he was going to make sure the pianist played it - no matter what the Bishop said- because that was what Rose wanted.

The Chapel was full and the requested large Community Choir was all seated and it was about 15 minutes before the start time.  Steve comes in and goes up to the stand and starts whispering to the pianist (super gifted woman that accompanies the Choir) and smiling...and then she is smiling...and then Steve is thanking her--my stomach sinks!  Surely not!!

Yes!!   Rousing chords rolling with full energy.... Pop! Goes the Weasel!! ... fills the room, as the casket is wheeled in! The Bishops face looked startled and then he smiled and shook his head in disbelief.  Later in his remarks, which were my favorite of the day, he acknowledged the requested Play list and said that Rose won that one.  He said he had not approved this and he would be having a serious talk with her when he saw her again!

I was sitting on the side where the family walked past as they entered the Chapel and when the pianist started that song, they all broke out smiling and it was just what Rose wanted.  She wanted fun and laughter at her funeral.

Rose and her sister had been pranksters since they were girls and the entire family knew and enjoyed all of her tricks.  Steve's talk was filled with her pranks!

Rose loved bunnies and she had stuffed bunnie animals.  There were a couple of flower-filled bunnie vases on the podium.  Steve had mentioned her love of bunnies.

Her sister, Carol, (who kept with that lighthearted theme and showed up in a very colorful tie-dye T-shirt) said she would explain why Rose loved bunnies so much.  She shared that their Mother had given them a book when they were young and Rose loved the story about Barrington Bunny.  She then read the entire story out of the book.  She was one of the best readers I've heard in a long time.  Maybe winner over-all!  It really did give insight into Rose's character hearing that story and seeing her lovely sister.  Carol was so tender as the story ended.

I was so inspired by the story that I came home and figured out what the book was and have ordered my copy!  It's called... The Way of the Wolf  by Martin Bell link. Rose's Mother certainly prepared her for eventually receiving the Gospel and following Christ. 

The Community Choir (of which Steve is a member) filled all of the choir seats and their two numbers were just beautiful.  

I didn't go to the graveside as I needed to get home but I know Rose was happy with the events of the day.  I went out the sidedoor and not out the casket side, for those going to the burial, but I do wonder how the two woman that she chose as pall bearers held up.  Literally.  They weren't honorary but actually going to help carry the casket! Steve said he put strong men in also so the women would be okay.  I'm going to call Spring and see how that went!

I wear my silly pin with the cat dangling from the branch and know it's a Hold On!! message, from my unique/quirky/sweet/kind/loving/gentle/tender/spiritual friend and I will always have a smile on my face when I put it on.  

She looked very peaceful, and yes, beautiful at the end.

Friends and life!  I cherish both!!  xoxoxox  to you from me!!

In honor of Rose...I share a meme that she would have loved!!....

They're making a grave mistake


2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVED LOVED THIS POST!!! THANKS FOR SHARING. LOVE YOU LORRIE

Nancy Seljestad said...

Thanks for being a reader of my little blog! I'm glad you enjoyed this one!
(Lorrie is my darling daughter-in-law and I love her! xoxox)