Saturday, September 22, 2018

celebrating...

Today was a monumental day for us...our wedding anniversary!  Umpteen years ago when we got married the preacher gave the traditional vow, that we were to repeat after him....

from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith.

We then exchanged rings.  We were pronounced man and wife and embarrassingly enough were told that he should kiss his bride.  I remember a quick peck was exchanged.

Our vows also had some clause that I would love, honor and obey.  I don't remember what Terry agreed to.  It was a regular part of wedding ceremonies at that time.

Years later we were able to erase the death do us part clause with for time and all eternity.  That Temple ceremony that comes with our Church membership has been the reason, the foundation, the bedrock of our long marriage.

You need something like that if you begin you married life as clueless late teens.  Terry always claims a yeh, but...  Yeh, but I turned 20, 5 weeks later, so technically I wasn't really a teenager.  I have no idea how his math works on paper but in his mind that is an accurate equation.

We married for absolute pure love and passion and the desire to have a family.  That was it.  We had no other things on our list.  That extremely short goal list enrolled us in the School of HardKnocks.  We actually went onto Grad school for further enlightenment on Life Skills for the Clueless and even ended up with a Doctorate in Realities of Life.

Our love has endured being put through the wringer at times but we always end right-side up.  It is steady and comforting and secure and cozy.  The feeling of just being able to relax, flaws and all, and not be self-consious about bedhead and saying what you think and telling how you feel is a great gift in my book.  

His muscle tone has lessened, his hair is a beautiful white, his skin has wrinkled, his balance is bad, he has health challenges but to me he is still absolutely the most handsome man alive no matter what else is going on with him.

We don't think alike on most subjects...he is a news hound and loves to watch old Olympics and nature videos and Abba and Amiria and Sissell and follows people that live out of buses and stuff like that...then he loves to tell me about these things. He knows that I'm polite and listen with a vacant stare.  that puts him under obligation then to listen to me tell him about a local theatre production that I went to or a book I've read on a subject that he could care less about.  We each have perfected the art of head nodding and facial expressions while thinking other thoughts.  Even with that masquerade that we do...he will tell me that he is glad we visited...I enjoy talking with you.

But...we are totally on the same page when we talk about our family or the Gospel.  We connect at the heart on those subjects.  We pray together twice a day. Together we listen to a couple of Conference talks a day.  We talk about LDS news and what we've read.  We both love General Conference.  He wants me to go to the Temple weekly as he feels it blesses both of us.  We both have testimonies of Living Prophets and the list goes on and on.

And we love our family.  all so different.  all so unique.  all so precious to us.  and our grandchildren!!...we adore them.  and now!...3 great-grands!!!  We have wonderful by law in-law children.  They are loved so much. We talk about our family, a lot- but we are bad about calling and talking and being in touch like we need/want to do. We do stay in touch with our original 5 and they reach out to us.  

So another year of being together.  Terry feels it's a long time.  I feel it's just life moving ahead.  I don't seem to grasp how an age feels unless I've already lived it!  Terry feels old (in 5 weeks he will be 80)  80 is a number to me and I don't feel it's old.  it's just a number.  He says it is old.  I realize that I have moved from feeling 25 years younger than I am, to feeling 20 years younger than I am.  So I guess I too am aging!

We celebrated with me picking up Chinese food at the Panda Garden Restaurant in Sunnyside.  Marie Callendar furnished a pie for our feast.  We sat beside each other at the dinner table and enjoyed our meal and eating together.

We have reminisced off and on all day.  We love each other and are thankful for sharing our lives with each other for 61 years!  

My heart is tender.

Here is a picture from 5 years ago at McCall with all 5 of our children.

Enjoy!

Image may contain: 7 people, including Dave Seljestad and Jeanee Seljestad James, people standing and beard




3 comments:

Natalie Thompson said...

Happy Anniversary Nancy and Terry! 61 years doesn't seem possible...they do have a tendency to fly by. I can't tell you how good it is for me to learn more of "your story" and to be so happy that the gospel has been all the difference for you. It would have been great to have had you both in our small LDS pack at Anchorage High School. Nonetheless, it's great to have you in the pack now!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this. Thanks for being open!
Love,
L

Nancy Seljestad said...

Natalie- it just wasn't the right time I guess! But we have loved our membership in the Church and still do. You were a small LDS group that was respected and admired by all of us Gentiles! Seems a mighty long time ago to have been a cheerleader and watching you and Dixie do your thing! Life would be without purpose if we didn't have the hope and blessing of the Gospel. So glad for you Natalie-- such a sweet young woman throughout highschool and now years later...a sweet older woman! love you xoxoxox

Linda- My life is real and really wonderful and at times really rough...the enduring to the end scripture?...It's meant for those with declining health in later years! Terry is experiencing that. Thanks for the love! back at you!