Friday, August 24, 2018

Onward!

My pleasure to take a meal to Kennewick...this time a favorite of our Grandson.  He, by the way, is really in the hurt locker.  Kim will be induced on Monday IF Jack has not arrived into the world.  That means I can back off practicing Lamaze breathing!

So...back to the meal.  Chuck roast, mashed potatoes, gravy and corn.  salad.  lemon pie (courtesy of Cash&Carry!)  When, I ask you, when?? did chuck roast become as expensive as fillet mignon?  okay.  Not that much but wow! so spendy.  Back in the day it was an economical go to for feeding my gang and was a Sunday regular.

It felt good to cook something that I know Kipper enjoys.  He's loved this meal since he was a young boy.  Weather-wise--It's smoky hazy and hot here but with AC you can still enjoy a hot and heavy meal!
*********************
Did you read that history like Elder Cook asked us to do?  It's the First Volume and I was surprised at how simple it is.  They did say a 10th grader could read and understand it so I have no idea why it still surprised me.  In this first volume I learned a couple of new things, rather a clarification and enjoyed the way it flowed as a narrative.  For instance...I always thought JS happened on the scripture in James.  actually he heard it at Church and then the Bible happens.  No big deal but interesting to me.  I like stuff like that.

If time permits, you can read it in one sitting.  I did and it's worth the time.  Plus an Apostle asked us to read it.  Technically he asked the youth and seminary/institute teachers but I love to learn so put myself on notice to read it also.  It shows it as a book but honestly, I can't imagine it that big.  Maybe it's all the footnotes, which I didn't check out.  Maybe it has pictures? Maybe it has large print?  I don't know about that sort of thing but this I know...I enjoyed it and am curious about the next 3 Volumes that will tell it all!  here
*********************
In my quest to better understand and feel the Holy Ghost (always/constantly), I've really been enlightened.  I realize he communicates in feelings and thoughts.  I have tried to look for and recognize and acknowledge when I feel specifics or think specifics or see specifics in my life.  Elder Oaks listed 8 ways of communication.  I figure if I memorize those, watch for those, acknowledge those then I will be more attuned.

Revelation by Dallin H. Oaks here  

Assuming you are familiar with these different forms of revelation or inspiration, I have chosen to discuss this subject in terms of a different classification—the purpose of the communication. I can identify eight different purposes served by communication from God: (1) to testify; (2) to prophesy; (3) to comfort; (4) to uplift; (5) to inform; (6) to restrain; (7) to confirm; and (8) to impel. I will describe each of these in that order, giving examples.

My purpose in suggesting this classification and in giving these examples is to persuade each of you to search your own experience and to conclude that you have already received revelations and that you can receive more revelations because communication from God to men and women is a reality. President Lorenzo Snow declared that it is “the grand privilege of every Latter-day Saint . . . to have the manifestations of the spirit every day of our lives” (CR, April 1899, p. 52). President Harold B. Lee taught:
Every man has the privilege to exercise these gifts and these privileges in the conduct of his own affairs; in bringing up his children in the way they should go; in the management of his business, or whatever he does. It is his right to enjoy the spirit of revelation and of inspiration to do the right thing, to be wise and prudent, just and good, in everything that he does. [Stand Ye in Holy Places (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1974), p. 141–42]
As I review the following eight purposes of revelation, I hope you will recognize the extent to which you have already received revelation or inspiration and resolve to cultivate this spiritual gift for more frequent use in the future.

That last paragraph is my quest!  As he said early on ....

"I have chosen to discuss this subject in terms of a different classification—the purpose of the communication."





No comments: