Saturday, February 28, 2015

Worth a thousand words. Easily.


Yesterday was what I'd call a lovely day.  Spent part of it in company of a friend celebrating her birthday, special lunch, and getting caught up on our lives that are on different paths/stages...sharing a special heart connection.

In the evening, sorting through the mail, I saw the new Ensign.  I started to leaf through it and my attention was riveted right out of the chute seeing this painting.  Artist is Frans Schwartz.  It was the illustration for President Uchtdorf's First Presidency message.  I believe every single word he wrote as truth. "...He will strengthen, encourage, and bless us.  He will encircle us in His gentle arms." I know we can be encircled by His gentle arms.  the thought makes me teary and my heart tells me, once again, that it really is true.  I muddle and mull my way through mortality but one thing certain in my life is belief in the Atonement and His power to comfort me.  When things are not in muddle/mulling mode with me trying to understand/learn/figure things out, and I'm faced with things/experiences/challenges beyond my scope...that comfort is there.

Agony in the Garden
Agony in the Garden

I am fascinated, strengthened, comforted and taught by renderings of Gethsemane.  Most especially depictions of Luke 22:43 And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.

Years ago the Ensign (then the New Era) printed paintings by Carl Bloch.  All of us were amazed at scriptures coming to life in such vivid detail.  I don't remember his Gethsemane print at that time but at some point, again the Ensign, printed, in conjunction with an article a small picture of Christ in Gethsemane.

It was the first one I'd seen with the Savior receiving that heavenly help.  I ordered a large one and a smaller one.

The large one I kept in it's original cellophane wrap. The large picture has darkness all around but the center is the light of Christ. There have been times when friends are really suffering that I take the picture to them, share my feelings about it, and let them borrow it until the crisis has subsided or they feel okay about what is happening in their lives.  Because it's not framed they can slip it under or behind something and take it out when they want to think of the available help from Christ.  to ponder what He went through to learn/know how to help each of us.  My friend Myra Faye had the picture at two different times.  Right now a friend struggling/battling the odds of mortality, has it. Last I saw it propped up in her office.

Christ in Gethsemane
Christ in Gethsemane

 
I have my own favorite framed. a small one that is cropped.  I have never hung it.  it just seems so personal and I have it propped behind my copier!  I know that seems irreverent but I always see it, take it out from time to time, look at it and am reminded of the Atonement.  I have been thinking lately of hanging it but most likely I'll keep it tucked back here in the office.





The very thought of this happening-- of our Father in Heaven, sending an angel to comfort His Son...of His Son learning how to help us.  well, it just strengthens me and comforts me over and over. and over.  It is such a hope-filled idea.  I believe it.  I draw on it.  It is real.  It is true.

This month in YW we are talking about the Atonement and I'm looking forward to sharing Elder Uchtdorf message and bringing my print to show them and share my testimony and belief.

Hopefully I can get the Schwartz print, to share with my Laurels, before the month is out but right now they are 3 weeks out.  Plus WA has different taxes across the board so you can't order online.  you have to call.  If you are in WA then call 801-422-8214 to order Frans Schwartz print.  You can go to BYU Museum of Art store to see sizes/prices.  If you are out of WA you shouldn't have any trouble at all ordering from BYU-MOA.  Now this print would be a great visual for a FHE in talking about the Atonement. well, in my book it certainly would be.

here is a neat deal about Frans Schwartz www.youtube.com/watch?v=CogjXjwwbqY  





No comments: