Monday, February 23, 2015

Mullings...

The last while I've thought about the importance of callings in the Church.  Callings extended and accepted are what gives us programs to attend/enjoy/learn from in our Ward.  As you age you are usually sort of phased out...and I think that is fine.  Young parents with young children and teens, need those callings to keep them active in Church.  Older folks need to set the example that they are in Church because they have a testimony and it's the place to be.  So as an older folk (although I feel younger at heart and in my mind.  not so much young on the body rating!)  I'm so happy to have this calling to teach the Laurels.

Anyhow I digress.  There is a side to service that I never thought of until a few days ago.  You know that I'm doing my monthly family note writing and I feel good about it.  I received a thank you note from a woman...she is probably 44 and I was closely involved in her life 30 or so years ago.  Her teen years.  Especially her senior year.

She wanted to thank us for the many ways you served me.  She said- the obvious: My Bishop. She then listed some things that I was involved with.  I think I'll copy what she said because it really hit me hard that we never know, when we are serving with love and loving those we serve, how it will linger in their memory and impact those in our care/teaching for their later lives.  Her note....

So I wrote those 3 above paragraphs, started to copy what she said and then got sidelined (as I'm prone to do!).

Really I think at this age you end up with some sort of identity crisis.  Your body is older and things you used to do?...you simply don't do it.  Either you can't or you simply don't want to.  I see my brain actually thinks young but my body is not young.  When my brain was actually young and my body also, I think of all the activities I was involved in and loved doing with the YW of the Church.  Now I take my young thinker old brain and my fully old body with years heaped on it and I ask myself....what about these Laurels that I teach?  How do I reach them so that I can touch their hearts?? 

So totally shifting gears here...because of the above note from 44 year old, Kirsten, I referenced and sweet 40 year old Ami's comment a couple of days ago and a note I got from 50 something
 Susie...I was reminded that love is what it is all about!!  The world is definitely not the same as when I was involved with these other Laurels that are now women but  the underlying common connecting emotion, no matter the age of these now women, that I still view as girls, was love.  I loved them.  They knew it.  They could feel it.  You can't fake loving a teen.  You either love them or you don't.  Teens I've gotten to really know, love to be loved, in that they always met me at least halfway in accepting what I had to offer. 

This Sunday note from Susie really touched me. She entered my life when she was 16. Reminding/teaching me the value of unconditional love really popped out.  It surprises me how everlasting love is.  I still love these girls that are now women and yet they are still my girls.

My dear,
I am preparing my SS lesson for 16/17 year olds. I just keep thinking about HOW you taught me.
Not WHAT you taught me, but how. 

The answer is love. You loved me. And yes, I have tears coursing down my cheeks. Thank you for loving me when I needed it most. I love you

I want that same strong connection with these Laurels that I now teach...  a new and different program...  modern Laurels in a modern world...a world that doesn't always clearly reflect the Lord's path  and yet they are still daughters of God... so sweet and beautiful in His eyes.

Transitioning within takes a lot of thought.  Being co-dependent, I'm thinking, maybe I shouldn't put this in...what if someone thinks I'm bragging in some way....what if...what if..  I think I'll be more capable of Loving the Lovely Laurels if I really accept and love myself!!

No comments: