Friday, February 6, 2015

Just a note!

In December I was talking to our son, Greg, about staying in touch with the family.  More specifically...me staying in touch with the family in such a way that they realize I'm thinking of them and love them and all those sorts of things that we want in family relationships.

Right out of the chute there are limitations because I do not have a Smart Phone, so no texting. Skyping didn't seem to fit the bill for all sorts of reasons.  Practically no one emails.  Personal conversation on FB is not my ideal.  With time changes spanning across the states from WA to FL, adding in the fact those most work or are in school, calling doesn't seem the answer either with me not having a cell phone.  So confronted with an aging dinosaur with a very young heart, that truly loves and wants connection with my family...I had that aforementioned talk with Greg.

He said...Mom, your best bet would be to send a personal note in the mail. He pointed out that it's unique/unexpected/personal and a really neat thing to receive.  Whether he used those words in pointing things out, might be in doubt, but that was what I took away from our time.  I made the decision to send each member of the family, all 23, a monthly note for the entire year.  You know that I'm always taking on these over the top schemes, at least mentally taking them on, and yet more times than I hate to acknowledge they stay lodged in my brain and just sprinkle little guilt droplets on my thought patterns.  With family in 2 places in WA, KS, FL,UT, NV, ID...you can see how desirous I am to pull them into my heart with a connective thread.  So I'm doing it!!  I did January.  I got some great responses and thank-yous from them.

Looking ahead to February, knowing all the Dr. stuff going on and one being that cataract in my right eye, I knew I'd have to really work hard to get them mailed off early.  I really thought it out.  made my deadline. I did see it through and got them mailed off.  I went way overboard.  Cards for each one!!  Then I got really crazed....bought mailers and put a sucker and a bitty little Valentine pin in and spent $4 per family, to send  20 cents worth of stuff!!!  Never again!  Once I started I had to see it through.

Then I decided to mail each of my Laurels a Valentine.

Then I decided to bring a sucker and Valentine pin to Church on Sunday for each Laurel.

Found some fantastic Valentine glasses to use in my Laurel lesson and bought each of them a pair.

Bought Valentine stamps.

Really got carried away but in all truth...I loved doing it.

Want to see?????  I was hoping so!!!

should have put these pictures in order.

love the stamps!!

Fun!

Working hard and having fun!!

Lollipops and bitty Valentine buttons for Greg's family


Aren't those heart glasses adorable for class?  guess you really can't see them.

23 Family Valentines plus 5 mailers

9 Valentines for my Laurels

No comments: