Monday, February 25, 2013

Ultimate Party!!

Such a fantastic progress and the PT only wants one appointment a week and not two.  45 minutes instead of 1.5 hours!  Marvelous!

Riding along and talking about the miracle we were in the midst of living and I said...Do you think this stroke will be enough life experiences for us?  he said....Of course not.  Trials and tests will just keep coming.

I knew he was right but it doesn't hurt to ask does it???


We talked about adversity and trials, of which all of us have had our share, and the importance of getting through them.  It reminded me when he was in the in-patient Rehab Center and I'd brought the RS/Priesthood manual for me to read something to him.

I wondered if there was anything about tests/trials/adversity and opted to read Chapter 7- to us.  Faithfulness in Times of Trial: "From the Shadows into the Glorious Sunshine".  This has got to be one of the greatest compilations on the subject I've ever read!!  I love it when I hear a story I've never heard before and this chapter had one in it.

The saints had left Nauvoo in 1846 and President Snow and his family lived, for 2 years, in Mount Pisgah, Iowa.  Several months after arriving he was call to preside over the settlement until they left for SLC in 1848. 

“By this time,” he later recorded, “the Saints in Pisgah were in a very destitute condition, not only for food and clothing, but also for teams and wagons to proceed on their journey. Several families were entirely out of provision, and dependent on the charity of their neighbors, who, in most cases, were illy prepared to exercise that virtue. But, above all this, a sweeping sickness had visited the settlement, when there were not sufficient well ones to nurse the sick; and death followed in the wake, and fathers, mothers, children, brothers, sisters and dearest friends fell victims to the destroyer, and were buried with little ceremony, and some destitute of proper burial clothes. Thus were sorrow and mourning added to destitution.”

He did all that he could to organize the people and to set a good example.  Then he did, to me anyhow, the most amazing thing--he encouraged them to nourish themselves spiritually and to enjoy wholesome entertainment.

Can you even begin to imagine the deprivation they were enduring, trying to help each other, trying to get ready to trek the plains, people dying etc. etc.  Not enough of anything it seems and the leader says....Let's have a fun party and enjoy ourselves!!

This has to be the most clever party I've ever heard of.  Ever!  This should be featured on Pinterest or some RS party guide for a "Free Yourself of the Doldrums/Dreariness/Stress of Life" party.

If you feel incline to duplicate this event then here is how to do it....in his own words.

“During the long winter months,” he said, “I sought to keep up the spirits and courage of the Saints in Pisgah, not only by inaugurating meetings for religious worship and exercises, in different parts of the settlement, but also by making provisions for, and encouraging proper amusements of various kinds. …
“As a sample, I will attempt a description of one, which I improvised for the entertainment of as many as I could reasonably crowd together in my humble family mansion, which was a one-story edifice, about fifteen by thirty [about four and one-half meters by nine meters], constructed of logs, with a dirt roof and ground floor, displaying at one end a chimney of modest height, made of turf cut from the bosom of Mother Earth. Expressly for the occasion we carpeted the floor with a thin coating of clean straw, and draped the walls with white sheets drawn from our featherless beds.
“How to light our hall suitably for the coming event was a consideration of no small moment, and one which levied a generous contribution on our ingenuity. But we succeeded. From the pit where they were buried, we selected the largest and fairest turnips—scooped out the interior, and fixed short candles in them, placing them at intervals around the walls, suspending others to the ceiling above, which was formed of earth and cane. Those lights imparted a very peaceable, quiet … influence, and the light reflected through those turnip rinds imparted a very picturesque appearance.
“During the evening exercises, several of my friends, in the warmest expressions possible, complimented me and my family for the peculiar taste and ingenuity displayed in those unique and inexpensive arrangements.”
Talk about re-purposing.  Making do with what you have on hand.  Taking care of details.

Is that not the most fun thing ever?  (Martha Stewart- take notes) sculpted turnips!...original votive candle holders!  hanging lights!  fabric draped walls! homespun look-straw floor!  and did it work?  did it help people to feel better?....

Lorenzo recalled that “the hours were enlivened, and happily passed.” He and his guests entertained one another with speeches, songs, and recitations. He said, “At the close, all seemed perfectly satisfied, and withdrew, feeling as happy as though they were not homeless.”

I was so smitten by this story that I longed to go shopping for ceramic turnips and throw a party!  Of course I didn't but I did find it interesting that a few days before I read this to us that I'd asked a friend if we could watch The Nutcracker when things settled down a bit.  I said I wanted to do something "normal". During this time, I also had purchased season tickets to Aiken Center Theater for their theater in the round.  I'd thought about going to get a manicure.  Inviting someone to go get a pedicure with me.  I was looking ahead to Leavenworth Summer Theatre schedule and planning dates for The Sound of Music.

I learned that those are good feelings to have-- The desire to do something rejuvenating to strengthen you to carry on your tasks/realities at hand is healthy.

Lunch anyone???


No comments: