Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Trying

Sometimes I have flashbacks to joining the Church and then trying to figure out how to do ALL of the things that I felt bombarded with.  A to-do list that had me overwhelmed and feeling inferior, with how everyone else was so perfect, in how they did everything they were asked.  I loved the Church tremendously but I felt steamrolled with all of the expectations. 

I've mentioned before that I wish someone had come to me and said something like...how wonderful you are in the Gospel.  You are a nice person just the way you are.  Add Church goals as you can.  You will grow into it....  well, you get the gist of what I'm saying.  I wasn't some hardened criminal or the likes.  Just a nice young Mother/Wife with 2 little boys.  And an undiagnosed Co-d person even back then!  Wanting to do it all and I really think doing things, for the love of Christ, was not in my mind, as much as wanting to fit in and have the approval of humans... those perfect beings that I'd perched on pedestals... agleam with jewels of a celestial shine.

It took me years to find my way, to feeling okay about all the lists, from Conference talks and other local talks.  It seemed like the law of Moses bombarding me with all of the exactness of multiple to-do lists.

Terry and I recently listened to a talk from 43 years ago and I told him that I remembered feeling so defeated, when I heard all of the things mentioned, in one paragraph that we were suppose to be doing.  Read it and you'll see what I mean.  Imagine just still trying to get a grip on how to live like a real Mormon and hearing 15 or so items at one time!!  Including a year of food!!
***********

When I speak then of total commitment, I do not refer to a momentary dedication which comes from being filled with the Spirit of God only on certain occasions such as in this conference. I refer to a daily or continuing spirit of devotion and dedication which comes from keeping all the commandments of God every day. We must not pick and choose which commandment of God we will or will not obey. Every one is important. For example, we cannot postpone genealogical research, temple work, or missionary work until after we retire. When we accept Jesus Christ, we accept his apostles and prophets and his total concept of Christian living. We then gladly accept the admonition of God’s servants and willingly have family prayer, hold family home evening, keep a year’s supply of food on hand for emergencies, send our sons and daughters on missions, keep the fast, pay an honest tithe, care for the poor and the needy, and are kind and thoughtful and considerate of others. We willingly become saviors for our families and go to the temple regularly to officiate in behalf of our kindred dead who have sacrificed so much for us.

When we therefore understand this principle of commitment, we will realize the importance of priesthood genealogy and temple work. The Lord said that unless the hearts of the fathers are turned to their children and unless the hearts of the children are turned to their fathers, this earth life would fail its purpose. Genealogical work is therefore important and we should get on with it.

(excerpts from Oct.1973 CR by Theodore M. Burton The Need for Total Commitment  -here)

******************************
Eventually of course I learned how to cope with and enjoy trying to be obedient. I came to understand the process and like everyone else,  I never achieved 100%!  The If/Then blessing factor, that I mentioned yesterday, has been such a blessing in my life in obedience with expectation of a blessing and gives me perspective

The above talk said "Genealogical work is therefore important and we should get on with it."  I realize it is important BUT I have never got on with it!!  nor have I felt the desire, that I see in those souls that bravely share their passion about it trying to get me off center and my eyeballs roll back in my head, in knowing what is coming, in them telling me, yet one more time!, what I need to do.  The only thing I've ever consistently felt about genealogy is guilt!  Besides that...my niece does all of our names etc. etc.  It's all done etc. etc.

In trying to step it up a notch, before my earth time allotment runs out, I decided to listen to Roots-Tech and see if maybe something would be said to peak my interest.  Hubby (he that causes me to roll my eyes and stop my ears to not hear what I term badgering and he terms it encouraging me) decided he would listen also.  Actually we watched LiveStreaming (old dogs loving new tricks!)

So there we were in separate places, on our own computers, prepared to listen and hopefully to be motivated/inspired to do this gauntlet throwdown ... "Genealogical work is therefore important and we should get on with it."

I must say that I was caught off guard on so many counts.  First of all, I took tremendous comfort in hearing people, active people/temple loving people, that did not do genealogy.  Sheri Dew (head of Dessert Book and former General RS Counselor)    Until 4 years ago, President Nelson's wife, Wendy, had not done any Genealogy right alone with the same being said by Rosemary Wixom (Current General Primary President).  These were my kind of women!  Active, strong testimonies, attending Temple etc. etc.  and YET they were not doing Genealogy. 

Sheri Dew and Rosemary Wixom both gave fantastic talks and committed to trying to do Genealogy.  Wendy Nelson was inspiring as I thought that 4 years ago she was in that same boat of not doing anything. 

I loved it.  I believed them.  I read Elder Scott's talk (Oct. 2012) that Sister Nelson said inspired her.  Looking and finding things he counseled to do that helped her.

I looked for If/Then promises in all the speakers and they were there.  Starting with the opening by one of our new Apostles...Elder Renlund.  His promises are so beautiful, so amazing and hey!...I need these blessings!! 

I'm going to give it a try!  Doing Genealogy.  Yes.  I'll try because selfishly my family needs this heavenly help.  Just being honest here!  There were lots of promises given and I'm waiting to read it and mark it up!

I put the link at the bottom so you can go and listen to each talk.  You will be blessed by doing so.  I just know you will because I was and we are alike aren't we???  Yes.  We are sisters and they spoke truth and you will feel it as I did.  and still do!

(personally I felt it was the first time out for the Renlunds and was a bit awkward in presentation at times for the women, as they were reading off of a teleprompter.  You could feel his power at the end when he gave that Apostolic blessing to all of us!  His wife and daughter are beautiful and charming and my heart went out to them.)



"Brothers and sisters, I promise you protection for you and your family as you take this challenge, to ‘find as many names to take to the temple as ordinances you perform in the temple, and teach others to do the same.’”
Dale G. Renlund

 If you do this, he said, blessings will flow to your family. You’ll find not only protection from the temptation and ills of this world but also power to change, power to repent, power to be sanctified, power to learn, power to bind your family together and heal that which needs healing. (quote from Meridian magazine)

(Catch-up on RootsTech conference....here)‬

No comments: