Sunday, December 27, 2015

Talk time. My turn.

10 days or so ago, the Bishop called and asked me to speak on the last Sunday of the month.  I thought it would be goals or the likes, instead of the subject-- Endurance!  Enduring to the end! and using the October 2007 Conference talk by Elder Uchtdorf entitled- Have We Not Reason to Rejoice?  I found that humorous to couple enduring with rejoicing.  Enduring to the end of mortality and cover it in 10 and up to 15 minutes!  Volumes have been written about this, as it's the entire purpose of life, to endure with grace and dignity, to the end of each life experience until life is over.  (I felt I could just put the Scriptures on the stand, along with referencing all CR reports and people would have the subject info available and could know what they could/should do.)  It seemed an overwhelming topic.  (Probably because it is!)

I finally just went super simple and pared it down.  I was as ready as I could be and even at that was deleting-- to end up with bare bones.  Even with all of that butchering...it was to much talk for to little time!  My talk time was slowly devoured by others in their talks.  I was last on the program and it boiled down to a few minutes.  I tried to pare it back the best I could.

Was it jumbled/fumbled and sort of scattered/confusing?  Probably.  Afterwards the Bishop said...You said you'd share 6 items.  You did 5.  What was the 6th?  and I said...music.  Turns out that was a lie.  When I was emptying my Church bag and looked at all the chicken scratches, on my one page of notes, I realized my error.  I'm still trying to figure out the order on my messy notes, of the order of the 6 steps I wanted to share, that I use for helping me with enduring beyond the Basic 6 steps in the Church like Prayer etc.  Probably totally confusing to you.  That was my mindset...scattered and yes--confused whilst talking!!!

I think, from now on, I will always write a Reader's Digest version of any talk I'm ever asked to give.  I could have pulled it out today...made my point...and sat down.  Next time...in a year or so!  Seriously.  I am going to do that.  Always.

The previous speaker was great and inspiring.  I would have had no problem if they'd canceled mine as she was so prepared.  Well thought-out and personal.  Music.  Stories.  Plus she was a former Laurel of mine, many years ago, so I love her!

I enjoyed Church today, so much, even if I was caught off guard!

Are you a time stickler on talk time? 

********************

Is anyone excited about a New Year?  I really am!  It's going to be the greatest ever!!


No comments: