Saturday, December 5, 2015

A good morning to you!

Dixie continues to get stronger, and more determined to be independent and not require help 24/7.  Nothing stronger than a determined woman!

***************************

Our children are so good to us.  Compassionate/kind/giving/generous.  Jeanee decided that instead of listening to my constantly talking, about the need to paint the living room, that she'd just do it!  She is a little hurricane and somewhat like an Edward Scissorhands, when she makes up her mind.  My own little windmill!  Kip came over and eagerly jumped on board.  To have 2 happy adult children and 2 happy parents in the same relatively small room just fills the room with Christmas joy!  Terry put on an old Christmas CD, with long ago favorites, and when I'll be Home for Christmas lyrics filled the room...I got teary and Jeanee got teary and at the same time Kipper said that is to intense and we turned it off!  

Christmas has arrived early this year...Dixie's miracle (long term or short term- we are thankful and happy and enjoying every moment!)  and to have our daughter here (until the 11th!!!)  We will just hole up and make the most of having 2 children here!!!

**************************

Celise and Jenny- I was reading about Sister Oaks and her new book.  I think it might be great to add it to your library.  Actually...for all of us!  (I didn't know she has a blog!)

Here is a part of what I read from a recent interview-

You recently came out with a new children’s book, My Home Can Be a Holy Place. What inspired you to write it? What message do you hope people will take from it?
The idea for the book has weighed heavily on me for the last three years. I want so much for the young parents in Zion to prepare and protect their precious children, the future of our church. I hope people will realize (1) by relatively small, consistent holy acts we can achieve a sanctuary for our family, and (2) that children—properly taught—have a magnificent capacity to help make their homes holy.

You also have a new blog,homecanbeaholyplace.com. What is its purpose? What can readers expect to find there?
I have tried to listen to prophets who have told us to share our testimonies with the world. The purpose of my blog is to extend the ideas in my book into real life practice in the lives of members. I’m gathering ideas from a variety of LDS parents on how they make their homes a sacred sanctuary against the ever-increasing evil in the world. The stories, activities, reading suggestions, and other resources on the blog provide ideas and inspiration that can help others make their homes places of joy, safety, and refuge.
In addition, there are reading suggestions, recipes, music, and links to relevant Church talks. I invite everyone to contribute suggestions that have blessed their homes.

Is there something not many members of the Church know about you?
I am essentially a convert to this Church, and I can testify to the great power of our Heavenly Father to bless our lives, our homes, and our families if we are obedient to His commandments. Life under the gospel plan is true happiness.

Is there anything else you would like to share with LDS Living readers?
We have such a sacred privilege and responsibility as members of this Church to serve our Savior, Jesus Christ. Remember: “The first duty pertaining to the training of the children of the Church belongs in the home. It is the responsibility of the parents to bring them up in light and truth…”(Joseph Fielding Smith, page 206, Teachings of the Prophets.), and that “only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness” (Bible Dictionary). We have a daunting charge to be valiant, and I am so thrilled to be part of it.

I pray for the success of all of us—we are all in this together.

Q&A with Sister Kristen M. OaksRead more from Sister Oaks in her new children's book, My Home Can Be a Holy Place, available at deseretbook.com.

No comments: