Friday, March 30, 2012

Tradition

Tradition in my life, of all sorts, is so comforting in it's familiarity.  I find a source of security in the sameness.  Knowing and enjoying the expectation of what's to come.  I love the traditions exhibited in the play.... Fiddler on the Roof.
A different religion but emotions that I identify with.  I feel the bonds of tradition, not so much in the song about Traditions, but in the lyrics of Anatevka.  Driven from their homes and reminiscing about the ways of living they all shared, not an abundance of material items, but a lifetime of traditions and connections.  This powerful song of passage of old familiar ways, loss of friends, families being separated, always touches my heart.  The end of an era. 

Lyrics to Anatevka: 

A little bit of this, a little bit of that.

A pot, a pan, a broom, a hat.

Someone should have set a match to this place years ago.

A bench, a tree.

So, what's a stove? Or a house?

People who pass through Anatevka don't even know they've been here.

A stick of wood. A piece of cloth.

What do we leave? Nothing much.

Only Anatevka.

Anatevka, Anatevka.

Underfed, overworked Anatevka.

Where else could Sabbath be so sweet?

Anatevka, Anatevka.

Intimate, obstinate Anatevka,

Where I know everyone I meet.

Soon I'll be a stranger in a strange new place,

Searching for an old familiar face
From Anatevka.

I belong in Anatevka,

Tumble-down, work-a-day Anatevka.

Dear little village, little town of mine 


 Our religion has lots of traditions that bring comfort to the remaining family and friends when someone dies.  The last couple of days in our lives have been spent being involved in those traditions and drawing strength and comfort from the routine of sameness.  


The opportunity to clothe a friend for burial.  Terry felt it such an honor to have been asked to assist in that last act of service.  The prayerful deed of putting Lee's white Temple clothes on and being reminded that life has an eternal purpose.  There is life beyond this life.

Carol calling and asking me to make coleslaw for their big family meal on Wednesday.  I was so happy she called. That evening enjoying the chance to make flower arrangements for the tables with my friend, Chelle.  Our friends, the Whites, were here specifically for the funeral and stayed with us.  What a joy that was!  Linda helped Chelle and I.  (Darrel is writing a book!)

The funeral- such a tender time to hear a friends life in brief summary.... evokes so many personal memories...beautiful music...inspiring words...doctrinal hope.

The graveside service filled with tenderness and beauty and made so personal with a granddaughter's flute solo and a Native American friend, in full regalia, signing The Lord's Prayer.  Even thinking about it makes me teary.   The military salute and passing of the flag to Carol.  So much tradition, in so much we do, when a life ends.  Tradition of great comfort.  


Receiving the chance to help cook a dish, for the big traditional, after funeral meal, for family and friends on Thursday.  A time of gathering, reunions, reminiscing with visiting relatives and friends from years back.  Children, now grown to adulthood, rejoicing over seeing each other and rekindling old times on our friends farm.

This way of doing things is a very familiar, comforting tradition.  It is beautiful to me. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Tomorrow we will have the start of 2 days of another tradition that is so familiar and brings me such comfort.  General Conference.  Terry and I have talked about our meal.  There are only two of us but like I said earlier...we like to have food ready to just eat so we can enjoy all of the talks possible.  We ended up with me wanting to do a slow-cooked roast and coleslaw, and appropriately enough, in light of the last week...funeral potatoes.  plus I have overripe bananas so opted for banana bread.  Well, the king of washing dishes for 2012, wanted chicken and dumplings (he's not ever made them!) and he's going to cook.  I'll make coleslaw. Right now I have ingredients out for the banana bread.  Butter is soft so I'll go do that now. Maybe I'll get overly ambitious and make a batch of WW bread!

I will soak up every word of Conference- believing it is inspired, believing it will speak to my direct needs, touch my heart, make me teary, make me laugh, surprise me.  I will experience the full gamut of emotions and savor every single minute.  My testimony and conviction of being involved in the traditions of my religion will surface and be in full-bloom as I listen to these speakers!


Enjoy and I will also!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The importance of General Conference really comes through on this quote.  2 General Authorities...one stating, in 1946,  the importance of Conference talks  and then 42 years later, in 1988, another authority quoting him.  I'm excited to hear the talks!!!!

"For the next six months, your conference edition of the Ensign should stand next to your standard works and be referred to frequently. As my dear friend and brother Harold B. Lee said, we should let these conference addresses 'be the guide to [our] walk and talk during the next six months. These are the important matters the Lord sees fit to reveal to this people in this day'” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1946, p. 68).  Talk given by Ezra Taft Benson at 1988 Gen. Conf.

No comments: