Sunday, December 2, 2018

One little candle

Today I am not at Church and I miss being there.  I need to be here with Terry today plus I'm furiously determined to not let a cold get the best of me.

#Light the World, is all over the place.  Lately I've noticed people doing wonderful things for others.  I shared a couple on FB.  Not people I know but people that I would like to know!  The world seems to be feeling the need to heed the call to light it up.  Well, at least some of the world is!

I was thinking this morning about Christmas and about star light and Christmas lights and into my mind popped a memory from 1955.  I was in high-school and we were living in Anchorage, Alaska.  At that time we lived in an area on the outskirts called Spenard.  Alaska was new and very pioneering and TV was slow to arrive there.  When it did come...3 channels...rabbit ears...get up and change the dial...were all a part of accessing the couple of hours available in the evening.  We would sometimes watch the earlier Test Pattern and we weren't alone in that fascination!

None of us had seen TV's and it was viewed as a home movie screen.  When it was time to watch the show, we'd bring our 4 kitchen chairs into the living room and line them up.  We'd sit there side by side enjoying our movie.  No popcorn or snacks as you did not eat in my Mother's living room!

This was the era of musicals and it was marvelous to be in that time period.  One of the weekly shows was The Perry Como Show.  He had singers and dancers and guests and we loved his voice.  The memory I had today was a show that he sang the song...If Everyone Lit Just One Little Candle.  You can watch it here.

Before you watch it...I was struck by lyrics and how religious it would be perceived today. and wouldn't ever make it. Modest dresses! 

I just found this song so appropriate for the #Light the World campaign. 

Enjoy this

No comments: