Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Lit

5a.m. and I was staring out the window into the darkened sky, knowing if I kept a steady gaze, stars would appear.  Light by light they filled the sky.  I loved it!  Starlight and Christmas lights all remind me of the Light of the World...our Savior.  Those dibs and dabs of twinkly sprinkles, speak hope to me and peace, and make me feel all comfy inside.

That marvelous feeling of brisk winter coldness makes me want to bake bread and a vat of soup and reflect on life and memories.  Memories of the past- lovingly relived.  Memories being made by reinforcement of traditions.  Traditions are just simple things repeated.  Even an annual repetition can make for lasting memories.

Last year the decision was made that we would scale back, down-size, give away, a lot of our annual Christmas tradition trappings.  The little houses and all sorts of other things.  The goal was to have it organized so that things could quickly be decorated and not drag it out.  It worked just as planned!  I was so anxious to get Christmas around us, for our enjoyment, that the tree was up the day after Thanksgiving!

Then something so special happened.  Our darling daughter came to visit.  For the first time since she was 18 years old, a senior in high school, we decorated together.  Simplicity the theme but abundance on the joy and memories and love we felt.  She hung old ornaments we'd made as a family in 1971.  We put out the top of the tree that we'd discarded last year and used it as a small tree under the mirror. We put the garland over the mirror.  We put out the Nativities.  Strung some garlands out on the porch.  Put a garland on top of the piano.  Every item made it more inviting and comforting.

Garlands of greener;y with pine cones and lights and Christmas Trees with lights and little lights here and there just bring me joy.

One year we came into December with heartache and pain and sorrow ... trying to recover and have some stability and firm footing.  It was a family tragedy, and is now an overcome situation and a memory, so it doesn't bear repeating. That isn't the purpose of me mentioning it anyhow.  What happened was- someone who knew of our heartbreak, mentioned to me, most sincerely, What a horrible time to have this happen.  Christmas time.  

I shared.... to me it was the best of all times to have traumatic events.  Everywhere I turn I see Christmas lights.  Lights that represent the Savior and His love.  Lights that give me hope.  Lights that remind me of all things Gospel...including the plan of happiness.  Lights that are reminders of keeping the faith and that I'm not alone.  Lights that remind me that He is aware.

I appreciate every light I see at this season.  Just as I appreciate the starlight, in it's constancy throughout the year, in all seasons.

 I believe it takes darkness to truly see the Light.  The true power of even a small light, like a match, is best seen in the dark.  When life events cause us to feel in the dark, that is when we appreciate even a glimmer of light.  With the Gospel Light, personal darkness seems to fade and evaporate. The greater the darkness the brighter the light will be, IF we ask for it.


Christmas lights are precious and wonderful to me!


Image may contain: christmas tree and indoor


*********************************
Just saw this.  Love it!

No automatic alt text available.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poetry--that's what your post is today. The Light of Christ (all light), is everything, don't you think? Love you, my friend.