Sunday, December 10, 2017

"I was thristy and....

ye gave me drink".

I am always aware of the importance of water.  I love a good water supply.  I'm well aware of why I feel it so strongly.  I'm familiar with hauling water down roads...running out...pipes freezing.  Having to make choices between...washing a load of clothes...bathing someone...doing dishes etc. etc.  It did not last forever but it lasted long enough, and was tough enough for me personally to deal with, that I've never stopped my love of an abundance of clean water.

There were lots of people with similar situations but they seemed to roll with it better than me.  I found it traumatic.  I'm probably the only person that sighs when shower water hits me and says a thank thee prayer.  Maybe not.  My daughter, never takes daily water for granted either.  Every once in awhile we talk about our appreciation for taps that flow.

One year for my husbands birthday I gave him one of those big blue barrels for storing water.  I think Vikings feel pioneer living is a marvelous adventure.  I thought it meant I'd sit under trees, soak up the mountain scenery, breathe the marvelous cold crisp air and write poetry while my WW bread bakes and my freshly laundered clothes flap on the clothesline.

Alaska is known for it's fantastic water except for Homer (unless things have changed.  Most likely no change as my dear friend, Joyce, has her water delivered to this day.)  Our storage tank was way to small and inadequate.  She has a gigantic one but even with that luxury...water is never wasted.

When we first moved there, I was invited to a bridal shower.  A Branch sister had her Mother in attendance.  She asked me how I was doing.  I told her I was use to a shower each evening....I missed relaxing and dreaming and sometimes crying my heart out with hot water pounding my back. I was having difficulty with adjusting to lack of water and Terry carrying it often by hand because the road was not driveable. etc. etc.  I told her I'd gone to the local hotel a couple of times and paid to use their shower.  One time I'd gone to the Spit and used one out there at a campsite just being opened.  I didn't realize that she owned the only Laundromat in town.  They lived upstairs and had washer/dryers downstairs and then....several showers that could be used, for a fee of course.  A few days later she sent me a sweet note and totally unexpected and a huge surprise.... a lot of coupons for showers!!! I have never forgot her sensitivity and kindness.  I cried tears of joy!  & thankfulness!!

I could go on and on with my love of and gratitude for running water from taps in my house but I won't.  I will share this thought...maybe you have to much stuff and so does your family and maybe you want to do something different this year for Christmas gifts.  How about the gift of water????

Compared to what these folks go through...I had nothing to whine about.

You can give a one time gift or a monthly gift.  here

(I've been thinking-- it was almost 20 years with our water problem/challenge/situation and it was only resolved, and the battle was over, when we moved!)

No comments: