Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Part 2 of McCall 2015

Next time we go to McCall I hope to do my blog from there...if not, at least jot some notes down to remind myself of what I want to share.  Neither of those things happened this year!

So....where to begin.  Terry.  He traveled fine and had a great time watching the action and enjoying all of the family around him.  His medicine is leveling out somewhat but the evening dose still gives him a boost in expressing verbal affection.  Most strange of all, were a couple of at home dinners before we left, with him singing in Aleut, an Eskimo song taught to him as a school boy while he lived on Kodiak Island in Alaska.  There seemed to be no prompting or intro needed.  He simply announced it and the concert began. All family members present egged him on with applause and laughter.  Thankfully, that seems to have faded!

Have you ever planned some big event, at your house, realize you aren't ready, don't see how you can possibly do it, want to call it off/delay it/cancel it?  And yet that is not going to be your reality as the dye is cast, the stage is set, the invites are out, travelers are on their way-- all excited and prepared for the festivities?  Festivities that they know you have planned to the nth degree and that will be amazing???  And you know nothing is really planned!!!

Have you ever looked at all of the grime and disorganization in your house...all the stuff that needs to be whisked away, thrown away, and scrubbed to a shine...before guests come?  And realize...ready or not guests in the form of family are en-route!!  there is no rescheduling.  it is going to happen.

Have you ever been tired and numb brained and realize you are overwhelmed and worn out  and yet woman that you are (and hey!  a shout out to all of us fabulous women with our steel wills of marvelous endurance and capacity for pulling rabbits out of hats and performing magic!)  you survive, what you knew you couldn't...do what you thought you couldn't and things turn out just fine??

That was me!!  I survived my 2 nightmares (unprepared for McCall and unprepared for family to come home with us from McCall)  My 2 nightmares ended up being 2 sweet dreams.  My co-dependent self wanted to Mommy everything and make everyone happy and have everyone just relax and me do everything.  Well, not everything as Jeanee tends to be somewhat like me and she has always been the game/event organizer.  She arrived home tired and her heart/mind couldn't focus very well on events and what we needed to get/do/take.  She was over it.  She said I was like a Martha Stewart and wanted each day fully themed and napkin-ed and tablecloth-ed and simply gorgeous!  Well, that never happened in the past but it was fun to think about doing something so gorgeous.  Out of place for the condo setting of stringing card tables/banquet tables together for the evening meal but fun to think about!!

My remarkable children, all full grown adults with children, stepped up to the plate and true, things weren't as ready as usual and posted on the fridge for the happenings of the day when all arrived but they figured things out each day and it was SO MUCH FUN!!

I have to plug TimeShares...again.  I never thought I'd like one but turns out I do.  Ours is old.  My Dad golfed at McCall during the last week of July at a tournament there.  They decided to buy a timeshare when they were being built.  First tenants.  My Mother chose carefully...Hot tub room out the door and turn right...swimming pool within in vision...tennis court also...the Association built a jungle gym type area in the last couple of years.  No one can build back there so it feels open.  When my Mother died, Dixie and I inherited it.  We've always shared the years...me odd....her even (sounds logical!!).  Last year, Dixie signed it over to me so now our family has it each year.  So now we will be going each year but will still emphasize really making a huge effort on the odd years.  Greg and family drive 1800 miles so it's not a breeze to commit to yearly so we will see what happens.

Anyhow...we have been coming so many years that it feels like a summer home to all of us.  Even Grandchildren are familiar with the layout of everything including the town, most are old enough to be independent and they have a lot of freedom that makes me think of old time childhood adventures.

We had all 4 sons, plus one son-in-law, plus one adult grandson in attendance.  Now that is a lot of testosterone in one place!  I would venture to say that each is the Alpha male so horn locking was always in the back of my mind.  I believe they each know they are right in situations of decision making but they all reeled it in, took the higher road, acquiesced, maybe a bit of private tongue biting but they were marvelous!  All were champs and no hand to hand combat when on!!

I just reveled in seeing the cousins/grandchildren thrill when they saw each other and just include everyone right down to Kai, the youngest great-grandchild.  It was so beautiful to feel the love.  To actually see it and hear it and absorb it.

Things I remember...Bingo...beach day with wave runners...paddle boats...ice cream with Grandpa...tie-dye shirt making...mountain biking...making gigantic bubbles...huckleberry picking...swimming...sunsets...sunrises... family dinner each evening...Sourdough pancakes...Christmas in July celebration...lots of visiting and laughing and hugging and loving.  Bliss!  I'm sure I'm forgetting some things!

We had 23 family members there and then my niece came up with two of her boys and two old friends just happened by so we had a lot of people at the party place.

After McCall ended we all went to Eagle to see Dixie (except David and he scooted home earlier)  That was a wonderful time for her.  She hadn't yet heard the Dr. news so everyone was hope-filled but still realistic over enjoying the moment with her.

We arrived home with Scott, Jeanee and girls plus Greg, Lorrie and Brooke.  Our kids are incredible!  We were sitting around the dinner table and laughing and enjoying each others company.  Kip had come over so there were 10 of us and all of my worry about grime and etc. just floated out the window!  they were genuinely happy to be together and in our tiny place.  Dust and all!  They did so many detail things including changing the light fixture in the office (Celise- please tell your sweet Justin that they took care of that light.  he offered to do it!)  The hot water heater got fixed.  the McCall stuff got stored away.  Wallpaper got mended at ceiling level.  On and on with trimming and mowing.  And lots of Uno and SkipBo and some other game...Farkle???  Lorrie loves games.

Now the parties are over.  The torch will be passed for next year and all will do something and I will enjoy watching the events, visiting and watching our children and grandchildren bond and create strong ties that will last beyond this life.

For now...I'm regrouping with Terry being #1 on my list.  His care is a matter of heart.  all about love!
 Will let you know what my plans are when I figure them out!!

Here are some random pictures.  I admit this blog is way to yakkity yakkity but that is the way it goes!

I missed talking with you!

So I tried to get pictures on here but that will be tomorrow as I had no luck!!!

No comments: