Thursday, September 25, 2014

Home again!

Got a late start out of here for what turns out to be our 2nd leg, and last leg, of our planned 3-legged jaunts!  Lots of legging going on but we were moving right along.  3rd phase is cancelled due to Grandson having wisdom teeth pulled and Granddaughter has a bad cold.  We will hang up our traveling shoes and settle in for the winter.  So much to do around here so we will be busy bees.

Our trip?  Wonderful!
Round trip from Zillah to Carson City, NV to Central Point, OR and back to Zillah
familiar sight to all travelers on this road
Caretaker at rest stop was happiest/most pleasant man...said he LOVED his job
lunch stop
did not like this hotel room.  150 firefighters took all rooms.  lucky we got a bed!
is that a fire a brewin'?
lots of smoke in distance
Ben and Maureen are organic/recycle/gluten free (mostly)/weekly farmers market shoppers/reuse jars for glasses/solar paneled/always have fruit out for treats--sort of people.  Modern young couple.  cook together.  clean together.  Hikers/skiers/bikers and on and on.  Physically fit. They were gracious/welcoming/kind/considerate/gentle and good to us.  Wanted us to stay longer.

and yes!!...2 sweet grandsons that we enjoyed every minute with.  Murphy really wanted to establish some traditions with us and he chose to introduce us to the movie series Lord of the Rings. We were home bound (by choice- for Terry's comfort) so that worked out great for us.
all were loving and kind to us and it was worth the drive just for that.  They live on a hillside in Carson City.  Did you know they have rattlesnakes/scorpions/lizards and deer right there?  I was always on the lookout for snakes!!  UGH!  (They were happy with the apples also!)
taking care of Farmer's Market finds
eggplant relative of Mr. Potato Head?  check out nose!
only picture of the two.  sort of scary looking!
Sullivan-Grandpa-Murphy
Chef and Sou Chef
Partners in the kitchen
view from breakfast table
beautiful  .....
...but naughty.  ate 75 tulips!  Maureen not happy about that!
loved watching this show!
puzzles were a hit!
just kept pecking away at it
1000 pieces.  should have got 750 but they still completed it!
boys sharing some food.
healthy breakfast
story telling
getting ready for school.  Joy is the doggy!
healthy treat we found in our car to munch on the way home!
also two of their glasses filled with ice water for us.  sweet gesture!
House perched on hilltop looked sort of eerie to me.

*******************************************************
LOST!  4 hours!
We left Carson City heading to Medford.  At some point I said...
We are lost.
he said...no we aren't lost, we just don't know where we are.
I have heard that statement and we have had this conversation before.  
We had left the Atlas at Ben's.  Yes, we had the GPS.  We had no map.  Nothing looked familiar.  Nothing.  We had the bold point conversation many times during our side trip!

we are lost.
we are so lost!!
we are most likely really lost!
What??!!  Stopped the car and took a picture to confirm my suspicions!!
Lost
lost for hours
It's our wedding anniversary today.  The 22nd!  we used to look like this!!  sigh.

We were starving and this was the only place open.  We went in and about the time we realized it was our anniversary and we were sitting in a 50's diner and The Righteous Brothers came on their sound system and started singing Unchained Melody!  As teens we had danced to that amazing danceable song pazillion times.  I got teary.  It was romantic.  We relived our 57 years and were glad we stayed married and still loved each other.  Being lost was not as dreadful at that moment!

   Unchained Melody
Oh, my love, my darling
I've hungered for your touch
A long, lonely time
Time goes by so slowly
And time can do so much
Are you still mine?
I need your love
I need your love
God speed your love to me
Lonely rivers flow
To the sea, to the sea
To the open arms of the sea
Lonely rivers sigh
"Wait for me, wait for me"
I'll be coming home, wait for me
Oh, my love, my darling
I've hungered, for your touch
A long, lonely time
Time goes by so slowly
And time can do so much
Are you still mine?
I need your love
I need your love
God speed your love to me
Lonely mountains gaze
At the stars, at the stars
Waiting for the dawn of the day
All alone I gaze
At the stars, at the stars
Dreaming of my love far away
Oh, my love, my darling
I've hungered, for your touch
A long, lonely time
Time goes by so slowly
And time can do so much
Are you still mine?
I need your love
I need your love
God speed your love to me
Songwriters
H. ZARET, A. NORT


Quaint little town! 
We found a station that had a map.  love the hovering GPS as Terry tries to figure out where we are!
Looked across street and saw this building.  started laughing.  It will be a surprise if we find Medford!!
lost
still lost
Not lost!!  My friend of a million years...Pat!!
Medford Temple where Pat works on Tuesdays.  6000 sq.ft. smaller than CR Temple
Bruce.  Pat's Son-in-law.  a favorite friend of mine.  story later!
They have a farm of miniature animals!
Pat and her license plate!
adorable little cabin they built for Pat
her wigs!
Pat is 81 and her sister Marge is 90!
we talked for two hours, before she went to Temple, about life.  More later!
Uncanny.  Pat's husbands name was Ray and guess what store we pulled into???  more later.
homeward
homeward
last Motel.  Bible blocking anyone from coming through bathroom window!!
complaining...two chairs for relaxing at miserable hotel. paper shows how small they were.
or you could sit at bench.  We learned about good and not so good hotels!!
3438.9 miles + 1397.8 miles = 4836.7 miles!!!!

No comments: