Friday, December 13, 2013

Chugging along!!!

Spent large portion of the day at eye Dr. for Terry.  Glasses in his future.  Things are what they are and we hope that corrected vision will help his balance.

 No outside lights, outside tree etc. etc. There are friends that have offered to help but really that isn't in his mind set.  I'm fine with how it looks.  Enough to make a child happy to see it!  perfect!  

Menu and things to do pretty much ready.  will have extra activities in reserve, should the need arise, so we won't be left wondering what we might do.  Gift cards purchased.  Books for mailing are here.  Toys for little ones ready for playing.

 These soon to be arrivals are not some visiting heads of State!  The Queen is not coming for high-tea! These are grandchildren and our two little greats!  It's not going to be a long visit with this first little group, and I act like they are moving in for several months!,  so we are as ready as we can be!  One of the most wonderful things about Grandchildren is they are born with no preconceived ideas about their Grandparents.  They have no grudges or complaints or memories that you sometimes question the reliability in the retelling....you think that really happened????  The purest of love will soon fill our sparkly room with Gramps deft touch and Grams warmth and happiness.  Life is good in spite of it being altered, simply by amount of years lived, and health issues that showed up without invite!

It's amazing to me the amount of tradition that ends up being in family Christmas celebrations.  A connecting factor that people do until they simply can't for whatever reason.

The one leveling, calming, inspiring deed that keeps me afloat is studying scriptural type things.  So in the midst of the newness of doing the oldest things for Christmas I have set upon a new journey of study.  So unrealistic.  Akin to me saying...Hmmmm.  If I try really hard, bypass chocolate, I think I can lose 25# by Sunday!  Wacko sounding but I'm saying I'm doing it, not saying a completion date, so thereby I have my little safety net in place.

I have decided to watch all of the conferences since 1971!!  I'm a total conference nut.  Now I'm sounding eligible for psych ward admission but it's so soul satisfying and I just kept picking and choosing so I decided to just stop leapfrogging and just systematically read them.  Now I've made that declaration, I'll add a clause that allows me to announce at any time.....GONG!  I don't want to do it anymore!

1971.  2 million members.  22,000 missionaries.  April.  First session of Conference.  At that time there were 2 sessions on Saturday plus a Priesthood session.  2 sessions on Sunday.  AND  2 sessions on Tuesday.  (I think Monday was training of some sort but can't remember for sure.)  talks were substantial in length compared to nowadays.  For instance our last Oct. 2013 Conference, Sat. morning session had 6 speakers.  1971 Sat. morning session had 4!

As you know, this year in RS/Priesthood, we will be studying the teachings of Joseph Fielding Smith.  He became an Apostle at 33 and then 60 years later, age 93 he became President of the Church.  He was known as a doctrinal giant and had written so many books so he had the reputation of being a stickler and the buzz amongst the regulars was he might be real strict etc.

The Prophet before him had been President McKay.  He was tall, robust, a marvelous orator.  He looked like he was a  movie star.  Adored his sweet small wife.  He was President for 19 years.  His passing was mourned by all.  He was 96 when he died but people had that mental picture of him at his younger strength and speaking skills.

I'm saying ALL of this because....the first talk he gave, just a couple of months after he became President, is there for you to see!!   It has to be one of the most powerful testimonies ever spoken.  He just tells every single thing that he knows to be true.  This is great prep for leading into studying his teachings.

He only lived for two more Conferences...Oct. 1971 and Apr 1972.  He died in July 1972.

Do yourself a favor and see this Prophet speak via our fantastic Church Internet....
President Smith.  His very first General Conference talk!-- entitled  Out of The Darkness

No comments: