Friday, July 5, 2013

Razzle Dazzle Raspberry Pie!!

Terry has continued to berate himself over char-broiling to an ashen blackened crisp those last steaks.
He really wanted to make amends and he and Kipper both agreed they would stay on task and not wander away.   True to his word, their words, they hovered and such perfection from the grill-master!

This year, more than ever, I'm so thankful for our Country.  I love, appreciate and enjoy the freedoms of our land.  Compromised for sure but I still love being an American.

We had a quiet family meal with our son, enjoyed each others company, and ohhed/ahhed over our home cooking.  The meal wasn't necessarily traditional like hot dogs etc. but we savored it. 

Steak, cooked over charcoal (yummy!), cukes/onions sliced and marinated in 4 vinegars (yes. 4. Malt, rice, white balsamic, balsamic) along with some toasted sesame oil (just a bit) and garlic salt, new potatoes in white sauce (frozen peas I had on hand were not fit to eat!), Texas Toast.  Dessert?  Raspberry pie (and a blackberry cobbler that didn't turn out!)

In sorting through all this office stuff and cookbooks, cookbooks galore!!!, I'm trying to figure out why on earth I have all these recipes....not only books but pages from magazines, or ingredient jottings on scraps of paper....all with recipes I've not tried and if I'm brutally honest with myself--I would have to live another lifetime (maybe 2 lifetimes!) to even scratch the surface of the pile.  And that's winnowed from even more.

One super old cover-less Ward RS recipe, had scribbled on the outside...1 Crisco  3 flour.  My pie crust recipe!  I look to the other side of the page and saw, scribbled again, 1 C. short 1-1/2 flour  1-1/2 t salt 1-1/2 flour  2-3 T cold water.  My absolutely most favorite pie crust recipe in the world!!  From my long ago past, when I cooked!!

Aging destroys cooking skills... unless you work like the dickens and keep your skill level up.  I haven't.  Remember it wasn't to long ago that I had to learn to make WW bread again.  A skill, from my past, that I could accomplish blindfolded.  I was so at ease with bread baking.  Keep cooking!!  Don't let it fade away!!!

Last week I decided to try cooking real meals and real food for my sweet fellow.  At least occasionally!  So the 4th of July was a great place to start with a homemade pie!  I'd not made crust forever. 

I easily decoded my shorthand recipe, of sorts.  Thus the project began.  I forgot to at least aerate the flour so it ended up very heavy and not easy to roll out.  It was so thick that I doubted it would cook  but cook it did!  Looking much like a beginner's first attempt, and without a doubt totally homemade, it browned up nicely.  Thick and flaky and tasty. 

I filled it with fresh raspberries and poured a glaze over and chilled it.  It looked scrumptious and tasted the same.  The big thrill was the ego strokes from 2 men that thought I'd thought of this recipe myself and it should be published or the likes, according to their appreciative selves!!! 

So here are a couple of pictures for you to see...I lie not!

Those steaks wouldn't dare burn!!!

Delicious!

We had a great time!!!!

Actually I guess the pie isn't quite as glorious as my mind envisioned.  Probably all the thanks and enjoyment made me think it was Martha Stewart level.  You do have to admit that is one thick crust!!!

I hope you made some great memories with your family and captured a couple of pictures so you can easily relive it.



No comments: