Friday, October 28, 2011

Not Forgotten

I told a new acquaintance, a sister from another ward, that I would blog something for her to read.  Something that would remind her of her specialness.  Something that would give her a measure of hope.  Something comforting.  I started to share a scripture and then a story came to mind but really...how can you possibly top this!!??.......

Elder Uchtdorf's 2011 General Relief Society Conference talk
  http://lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/forget-me-not?lang=eng


You can imagine the joy that Alaskans felt when he talked about their flower.  I always felt it was amazing with the ruggedness and the oversize, of practically everything Alaskan, that the delicate little forget-me-not became our State flower!  the Fireweed gets so big in it's wild glory and many felt that should be the pick of the blossoms but it lost the vote!  Forget-me-nots  are gorgeous!  I think we have the smallest of all State flowers!  The biggest State with a teeny weeny flower but it is beautiful!

I remember my Mother planting an over-sized rock terraced area bordering our driveway/parking lot with wild flowers. She would search and find wildflowers, dig them up, box them up, drive them home and painstakingly plant and care for them. No easy feat to do such a thing. Very difficult to transplant wild flowers.  She had a special spot for the forget-me-nots and she did nurture them and they did survive.  She had a small porcelain heart shaped ring box that had a nosegay of the flowers on it.  I have an old soap-dish that is bordered with them.  None of that is important to a soul but it just brings back good memories.  Check out how lovely the flowers are and then look to left and see other State flowers.  Washington's State Flower is ____________?

Alaska state flower - Alpine forget-me-not

No comments: