Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fascinating Fascinators!

I own up to the fact that I stayed up until 4:30am to watch the Royal Wedding in April.  This is a stretch for me to even absorb the fact I sat there, all alone, enjoying live, all the pomp and circumstance when I so easily could have recorded it.  I wrote this a couple of days after the RW....

Terry had reminded me that it's a modern age. I could record it! but I like to watch History in the making. Live! He had no interest like I did. It fascinates me. Britain is so key to the spread of the Gospel in the beginning of the Restoration. Some of the choicest of the early saints left their homeland and came here to establish the Church. At the wedding the congregation sang God Save the Queen, which is sung to the tune of My Country, 'Tis of Thee. I remembered when I joined the Church and questioning why it was in our Hymnal. I looked it up this morning in the old blue Hymn book and there it was 115-A. In our current book it has the entire page. Last number in the book. 341. I also thought about the 12th Article of Faith- We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law. I also thought about the many British saints that were celebrating this event and watching it allowed me to see/be a part of the happenings in their lives. I'm thankful I'm an American and living in democracy. Taking a battering but nonetheless...freedom! I love it! So no tiara studded with diamonds resting on my head nor none of those Fascinators (they paid money for those chapeaus?) but I still enjoyed every moment of coverage.

Today I was scanning through some information and saw a reference to a book entitled...Debrett's Peerage & Baronetage.  Probably not a quick read at 3,000 pages but it does provide ready access to 25,000 people of note.  All the details one might need, if spouse shopping and wanting to know possible candidates placement on the ladder, as they search.  A sister volume is Debrett's People of Today with 2,000 pages.  Always, competitors arise when a good idea surfaces, so there is also Burke's Peerage

These books are filled with pages and pages of how to behave and what powers the Queen has.  She can appoint someone to be the Lady of The Bedchamber and other Royal duties.  No detail is overlooked.

From these two volumes you can learn how to conduct yourself, mind your manners, and be reminded... in order to enter the Royal Enclosure at an event-- you MUST present the Royal Invitation you received.   Make sure your midriff is covered.  No mini-skirts.  If hats are required then make sure the crown of your head is covered.  A "substantial fascinator" is also acceptable.  Fascinator's are old school in long time use and today's designers really go all out.  Make sure it's wild, weird, large and sits atop your head heading skyward.  And it should baffle the mind.  That's not in Debrett/s or Burke's but that is what I saw at the Royal Wedding.

Some members have access through the Queen to the Crown Jewels.  Also she can give you a titled name if she so chooses.  So she gave Prince William the name...  His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge.  His wife became HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.
Always surfacing to the top of my thoughts, after I read about things like this, is my deep gratitude of the Gospel. 

I think of "royal" things within the Church- like the Christmas Hymn that heralds... Once in Royal David's City.  The call to victory.... Behold! A royal army.   Handel's glorious Messiah with the Hallelujah Chorus, parts just rolling on top of each other proclaiming...King of Kings

And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away. 1 Peter 5:4  

And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of Hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels.....3 Nephi 24:17 

I'm fine with not being listed in Debrett's  or Burke's.  I'm wanting/hoping trying to be listed in the Book of Life.... 
                  

These are they whose names are written in heaven: D&C 76:68 

Greater to me, than any bestowed royal title, is the title, bequeathed and appreciated and understood by me through my Church membership.  I am ......

A Beloved Daughter of God
 

No comments: