Saturday, February 8, 2020

Delighteth!

What a surprise for me to find that the name of my new book was not what I thought.  I thought the title was ...The Priesthood Power and Women.  Not so!  It is called The Priesthood Power of Women.  It felt very different to me.  Sort of in an unsettling way.  Sort of made me put up my guard...was I going down a path that would not ring true?  I remember how impressed I was with the Author's caution and thoroughness in her research- so started my journey of reading her findings and conclusions.  

The book about self-love by the Buddhist Monk?...I have started it and then put it aside and started the above book...nothing in those first 56 pages made it impossible to put the book down.  I realize that over years of endeavoring to understand self-love and acceptance and what that means to me...I'm okay.  I'm okay with being able to say within my mind...I'm me/I'm okay/I'm glad I'm me and I do have, in that gladness, a self-love.  I feel gratitude to be me.  

I will read both of my new books and glean for some gems.  Does everyone read several books at once?  I do.  Topics vary.  My favorite?....The scriptures and all things involved with that study, which includes Conference talks (always!) are my one source of constancy.

This quote by Sister Beck is exactly how I feel!  She was the General YW Counselor when she said this.  (When she was called as the General RSP...she became my absolute favorite RSP ever!!!  Well, I guess I just loved her approach and common sense and frankness.  So saying favorite might be a stretch of the truth?  True she had the most impact on me.)


Julie B. Beck  My Soul Delighteth in the Scriptures  April 2004  here

If reading the scriptures is not already a habit with you, today is a great day to start. It did not really take 25 years to learn to make good dinner rolls. I just needed the encouragement to get started. Homemade rolls have brought much enjoyment to my family. But the greater joy has come from the habit of daily scripture reading which I started so many years ago. Some days I have a lot of time to contemplate the scriptures. Other days I reflect on a few verses. Just as eating and breathing sustain my physical body, the scriptures feed and give life to my spirit. I can now echo Nephi and say: “My soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them. … Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard” (2 Ne. 4:15–16). In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: