Thursday, March 8, 2018

life as it is...

You known my resistance to doing genealogy...if you don't know then I can tell you that I fight it like the dickens.  I am pulled towards stories and pictures and organizing letters and that sort of thing but never towards getting names ready for submission for Temple work.  also I always use the excuse...my nice niece, Teri Lynn, has done everything!

Then I ended up mailing a box of stuff, a few weeks ago,  that had clung to my guilty conscience like some sort of invisible lead ball.  The traditional back pack burden of procrastinating etc. etc.

So...my son had ended up telling me I was being selfish (how dare he speak the truth to me!!!) and that I should send the entire box to Teri Lynn.  I did.  She got it.  She sorted through it all and guess what folks...guilt load gone!  Everything I had, almost every single thing in the 21# box that I sent...she already had it...put it on Family Search!  Technically I was right but I burdened myself needlessly for years!!  I just found out yesterday that there was not a bunch of new things, never before seen and only in my possession.  What a relief and also a pathetic story of flailing ourselves with non-existent guilt.

Don't we do that with other life experiences also?  Relationships...perceived misunderstandings etc. etc.

well, before that news yesterday I had determined to watch all of the Root Tech convention that I could.  I went into with the prayer that I would feel like I was suppose to feel regarding this work.  I came into with the same feelings I've always had...telling the story of pictures...writing my life history...taking care of tapes that I interviewed my Mom in...organizing family pictures and that sort of thing but seeking to trying to feel motivated to do the find names to take to Temple etc.  trying to get myself on the right track.

Listen I did to hours and hours and it was amazing.  me sitting there with a note pad and at times listening to what one would call nerdy/techy/geeky young folks, speaking a language I did not know, did not want to know and resisted learning.  but...persevere?  see it through?  Yes!  Gold star for me.

I ended up coming out of all those hours with the same determination to do what I've always felt drawn to...writing and sharing and telling about the background, the stories of pictures.  AND I'm embracing that and going for it.

Next years RootTech will be in February and I have promised myself to daily do something towards that.  And I have started.  Terry brought in my first box of pictures and I'm going to dig through it bit by bit.

3 by-products of watching once and starting over again today....
#1- a mad desire to save my 8 Primary students and one way will be Family History/Family Search!
#2- in love with the song from Coco...Remember Me. Looking forward to movie.  wishing I could take my entire class.  Not going to happen but that is how strong I feel.
#3- so impressed by the statistic of things not saved by 3rd generation, stories not told, they will be lost.  It will be as those individuals never existed!  they will fade from sight.  Remember Me.

also...I'm thinking as I record data in my own Family Tree, as a natural consequence, I will be alerted to do Temple work for them.

Oh, yes...I'm happy.

********************
I'm still loving and enjoying throughly my cover to cover read of the Book of Mormon.  I'm nearing my self-imposed goal, finish by March 30th General Conference start date, and I still have a ways to go but I am getting there.  Such a satisfying read!

*********************

During my early recovery days (I'm 4 weeks into my projected 6 weeks) I was thinking today of what a great time my daughter and I had and how charmed everything seemed.  also thinking about my sister and an experience we had shared.  I remembered her forcing me to take 2 velour outfits.  one navy and one dark purple.  pants/jackets/matching t-shirts.  a couple of her super sale purchases at her favorite store Macy's. Out of frustration I finally, in a huff, said...OKAY!  I'll take them!!  She was all happy and I was all ticked at being nagged into submission.  

Then came my surgery and I needed something loose and comfy and sort of warm to wear after Hospital and trip and lounging about house.  I thought of that earlier conversation, with Dixie,  as I was sitting all cozy and comfy in her velour duds, for a good week or so.  I miss her and I did feel her near during my surgery days and early recovery.  

Velour is a comfort feel!!


2 comments:

Natalie said...

I think it's wonderful, Nancy, that you lean toward stories, etc., about ancestors. I like the research...my kids are involved with my research by doing the temple work. So, we are all involved. You go,girl! Bring those names, dates and places into focus by pictures, stories and so forth. THAT puts meat on those skeletons. God bless....

Nancy Seljestad said...

Thanks, Natalie! you are such a good cheerleader. Still!