Monday, October 24, 2016

Friends coming...

How exciting for us!  Friends, from our Homer years, are going to be here for a short visit!!  It's been a long time coming and it will be wonderful!!  They will be here tomorrow!

***************
Today was my HubbyHoney's birthday!!  78!!!  no way!!  Isn't that old?  He celebrated yesterday and got to go to Sacrament for the first time in a couple of months.  He enjoyed it and people were kind and caring and greeted him.  The Bishop handed him a birthday card with the sweetest/sincerest note.  Made his day! 
and I thought I posed him so cute!!  he is precious!! xoxox
Tonight we had dinner with Kip joining us.  The menu of choice was Meat Loaf/spuds/corn/salad etc.  The dessert was the traditional Cocoalight Cake.  This time I baked it in a 9x13 pan and it still fell somewhat.  I need to look up why this keeps happening.  I got practical and made a half batch of frosting (it seems to make a huge amount!).  I figured it would thickly cover the top of the cake and just leave the sides bare.  Terry started eating his cake and very gently (or was that cautiously??) asked...Honey, is there any more frosting?  Caught!  I said...No.  I only made a half batch.  Well, Kipper and Terry could not stop razzing me...Mom, it looks like someone licked the frosting off all around the outside edge...It's my birthday and I get skimpy frosting???  I will never live this down and it will be brought up until my demise!

What a joyful thing to experience with family calling the birthday fellow and wishing him a happy birthday.  serenades from grandchildren and children and families...so special.  so meaningful.  so thoughtful.

Love my sweet Terry.  So many years of birthdays together and each becomes more precious to me. 

******************

I love teaching the Laurels but I talk way to much.  I know they need to teach...they will learn...they will research...they will grow...that is the program.  I seem to run free range and want to share with them.  Like I'm trying to protect them and arm them with the gospel to survive this wicked world.

I've thought about the fact that sometimes when they slip up or goof up or make a bad judgment call or just plain sin...they seem to really punish themselves and hang onto it.  I guess I do that myself.  Do you ever let yourself down and then feel so bad and just hang onto and wrestle and wallow in a pity mud hole?  Anquishing and in the midst of rolling around, giving yourself a swift kick.  I have. 

I wanted them to know that feeling guilty is good because it lets you know you need to repent.  Feeling that sick at heart feeling is a good feeling as it's prompting you to repent/address it/change things.  It's a clear message from the Holy Ghost.  Be thankful you can feel that prodding.

But...you only need that horrible feeling until you have repented.  Even in something serious that requires Church discipline, you don't need to keep beating yourself up.  Yes, depending on what has been done, there will be some pain but I'm talking about things that don't require that sort of judgement.  Just faulting myself with how weak I sometimes am.  I don't need to beat the tar out of me! 

I think this is beautifully stated when Alma was confronting his son Corianton over his sinful behavior and afterwards he said to him...Alma 42:29

And now, my son, I desire that ye should let these things trouble you no more, and only let your sins trouble you, with that trouble which shall bring you down unto repentance.

We don't need to beat ourselves up when we recognize those need to repent feelings.  We just need to be thankful that we understand the message from the Holy Ghost and repent and move on.  This fits in with what Elder Bednar said (paraphrasing) We believe in Christ but do we believe Christ.  Do we believe that what He says will work in our lives?  (well that is the basis of what he said and sorry to be so casual and not look the talk up but...I'm tired and friends are coming and I need to get ready for them!)

Back here in a couple of days!

No comments: