Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Pullman Pans

Our daily listening/watching the old Conference talks sort of completely fell by the wayside as Terry's health was taking a tumble.  Things are sort of in a mending fashion right now for him and we are back on track but riding in a new train! 

Motivated and inspired by this recent General Conference and remembering what President Lee said, long before we joined the Church, but quoted many times over the years, we decided to focus on the most recent CR for the next 6 months.

It has been wonderful!  We recorded it on our TV so we get the music and can listen to it also.  We usually re-listen afterwards to each CR but the thought that we will listen to them over and over of the same CR and end up reading the footnotes and other cited CR is something to anticipate.

From CR April 1988- Ezra Taft Benson....

For the next six months your conference edition of the Ensign should stand next to your Standard Works and be referred to frequently. As my dear friend and Brother Harold B. Lee said, “We should let these Conference addresses be the guide to our walk and talk during the next six months.  These are the important matters the Lord sees fit to reveal to this people in this day.” (Conference Report, April 1946, p. 68).

Today I decided to bake wheat bread.  Wheat for man. I thought about President Monsons talk and also thought of a formal group that was in hopes the WOW would be modernized and brought up to their standards and what they know to be needed to make it healthy...what did they think after such plain/simple talk?  I can imagine somewhat as I have read of their heartfelt passion to have changes made.  Their hopes and desires were dashed.

For me?--I enjoyed hearing his statement and hopefully it will calm some that wanted changes made.  I felt fine in making the WW bread.  I enjoyed it.  I'm trying to figure out some foods to have on hand involving grain and this bread is what I'll do.  Don't fault me.

Long ago I baked all the bread for my family and I enjoyed doing it.  for years I baked 3 huge Pullman loaf pans a week.  I loved my pans.  can someone love a pan?  I really did love them on the level of loving objects!  A friend had Pullman pans and I'd never seen them before.  I ordered mine out of Anchorage from a restaurant supply store.

Heavy stainless.  Square shaped with a lid that slides on.  My kiddos loved having square slices and all of the crust is soft and it's just fun.  I have two of my old pans left...darkened...lidless.

probably 19" long.  Maybe 5" wide

new one!
Today I didn't want to mess with pans and reverted back to another bread that was a family favorite and I'd make a gigantic single loaf.  Our daughter named it The Loaf.  It was not hard to make but time consuming with a lot of starts and stops.  I hadn't made it in years.  I use to make it on a cookie sheet and that sounded great to eliminate pan prep today.

I pulled out my old recipe and instead of making one huge loaf...I made two very large ones.  Next time I'm going to make 4 loaves!  I over-baked it a bit and was glad I used parchment paper so the bottom crust didn't burn.  As it cooled the crust softened up.  Terry enjoyed it no matter how the crust was!

The smell just brought me back to umpteen years ago as did the texture/taste of the bread.  so glad I made it.  that is now going to be my WW bread recipe.  I'll regain my technique!!

before baking. oversize full baking sheet.

after baking

There was such a nice feeling as I ground my wheat and made my bread.  It felt like the right thing to do on a fall day.

I believe in our living Prophet.

No comments: