Saturday, July 8, 2017

Straightway Sacrifice

For those of you long time readers...you know that one of the foundational stones, of my personal testimony, are Apostles.  I have been so overwhelmingly impressed with their willingness to give up/walk away straightway from every dream/ambition/accomplishment/choice in their personal lives without hesitation.  Straightway....living/giving the rest of their life in service of Jesus Christ...to death!

No family meeting/council/discussion...no extended time to set affairs in order.  Hastily!  Quickly! Now!  Usually the time frame from assignment is...called Friday or Saturday of General Conference and sustained at next session!  No advance notice to children or grandchildren.

No time to discuss with wife if she is okay with this.

Intelligent successful fine men with fine wives and families of fine people....no longer planning extended traveling during retirement or the likes.  Every minute will be assigned and planned...endless airports and chapels and stake centers and other arenas to hold all of us who believe in what they will say.  (perhaps they are blessed with no jet-lag?)

At least now they have their wives, and when their health allows travel with them. Nowadays they also speak sometimes.

When Elder Bednar was called...he thought it would be releasing him as President of BYU-I and was shocked when the apostleship calling was issued.  He was to meet his wife at the JSMB and then they were going to dinner.  He whispered in her ear what had happened and they went to dinner there.  He told her they could not even tell their 3 sons.  She wanted to and said they wouldn't tell anyone!  Could not do that.  He was told to have a 10 minute talk ready for the Sunday session next day.  not 9 minutes or 11 minutes but 10 minutes!

When President Kimball was called he was living in Arizona.  He was the first Apostle called outside of Utah!  It was a big deal.  The others were used to Utah even if they had to move closer to SLC.

And then comes...Elder Uchtdortf!! from Germany!  My heart went out to him, as all the others, with all that he would sacrifice to serve.  He recently mentioned that sacrifice here

I pray for these men and their families.  Someone has to step up to the plate and keep that line of Heavenly communication open, with Prophets/Seers/Revelators in place, for the benefit of the restoration of the Gospel and that includes my life being blessed.  As they speak, the Spirit witnesses to me, not only the validity of their calling but the truthfulness of the Church.

Each year I share with my Laurels how this belief/support of living Apostles, is a foundation stone of my personal testimony.  And ...every so often I just have to share my feelings with you.  Like today...I just did!

Below...how I gained my testimony/conviction and feelings I have....

Greatest Challenge 2012 here

not a book...a pamphlet 2014 here

No comments: