Saturday, December 28, 2019

Where my thoughts are!

"Happiness does not depend on what happens outside of you, but on what happens inside of you.  It is measured by the Spirit with which you meet the problems of life." --President Harold B. Lee
*******************
Nowadays it's popular to have a "word" that is your focus and your goal and your motivator.  Last year, at some point I felt my word was Becoming.  This year I've added Balanced to Becoming.  Becoming Balanced.  That is really what I need and what I want.  I decided for 2020 to do some  challenges in order to bring some balance into my life.  Why?? because my life is so often chaotic and so often not what I plan to do or even want to do and so often I feel blindsided by the happenings in just daily living.

At this age and stage of my existence  (and I still am fascinated with what I've seen transpire in my life and the world) it is like starting over.  Embarking on a life that is governed by the unforeseen and the unexpected and many, many times by things going downhill so fast it makes your head swim.
Health issues are a big deal!  huge.  gigantic.  I'm the Jack-of-all -trades that is feeling rather Master of none!!

It's beyond the empty-nester feeling.  At times it's ... feeling down for the count/back against the ropes/painted in a corner/totally perplexed/out of my league  etc. etc..

So for 2020...I am pretty much home.  I have decided to do some things that will help me in my home base.  I have several things lined up and I'm excited about them.

***********************

So...one thing I'm doing and I actually just made up my mind today on doing this...I'm taking an online cooking class!  It's 12 weeks.  After the Christmas fiasco...I need help!!  It was way to stressful and I felt unsuccessful!  In my day I cooked for my 7 and it was fine.  I seldom used recipes and it was still fine.  When I do cook...I cook for an army!  and sometimes I think it tastes like army rations!  Anyhow...it's a 12 week course and it's for people like me.  cooking healthy food for two.

************************

I've been figuring out what I want to do for quite awhile.  I've signed up for some other things also but one wonderful enjoyable thing I'm doing is...jigsaw puzzles.  Right now I enjoy the challenge of 500 pieces.  I've set the goal to always have one that I'm working on.  In November, when Jeanee was here, we did one...and then I did another one after she left...and now I'm doing another one.  Enjoying it so much!  Doing something on it every day.  Minimum is connecting two pieces!

You can look online and find all sorts of things as to adult benefits.

I tried to find the link to this one report and I couldn't but here is the list I copied and then the details on two of them is below.

Improved memory
Better problem-solving skills
Improved visual spatial reasoning
More education opportunities
Increased IQ
Delay dementia and Alzheimer's
Improved mood
Lower stress level
Increased attention to detail
Increased productivity
Better collaboration

The Surprising Benefits of Puzzle Solving for Adults
Improved Mood

Another one of the benefits of puzzles is that they increase our brains’ production of dopamine.
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that regulates mood and feelings of optimism. It also affects memory, concentration, and motivation.
Dopamine is released every time we successfully solve a puzzle — or even just get one piece in the right place. This encourages us to continue working on solving them and challenging ourselves.

Lower Stress Levels
At the same time that puzzles challenge us, they also help us to relax.
Our brains also go from a “Beta,” or wakeful, state to an “Alpha” state when we’re solving puzzles. The Alpha state is similar to the state we’re in when we’re dreaming.
This shift in consciousness comes with many benefits, including:
Ability to make deeper connections
Improve our mindset
Relieve stress
Improve mood

Increase our self-confidence

I just found the link!  here

************************

You techy folks...do it on your phone or laptop!  What next?!  jigsaw puzzles on phones!  Who'd of thunk it??!  well!...here you go!  right here

**********************

We gave puzzles to our kiddos for Christmas and one family put the puzzle together so quickly that I decided to send them something more challenging.  Check this out!!  Beyond my ability... right now!!
TDC Games World's Most Difficult Jigsaw Puzzle, Double Sided Cupcakes - 500 pieces


**************
So there you go...me sharing some of my plans for life in 2020 and pressing forward towards a strong finish!!!

I always can make it when I feel that peaceful feeling.  I love that reassurance that things may not change but I will be granted strength and some wisdom and some personal revelation and comfort and closeness to things of the Spirit.

again...."Happiness does not depend on what happens outside of you, but on what happens inside of you.  It is measured by the Spirit with which you meet the problems of life." --President Harold B. Lee

No comments: